Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to cook turkey

Options
I have a 13.65 lb turkey I'm gonna do new years day. From what I've read on here it seems like spatchcock is the way to go as far as ease and time it takes, is that accurate? Never done a spatchcock, is it easy to learn? I'm guessing I just need to find a YouTube video? This will be the first time I personally cook a turkey, period. I don't have a roasting pan or poultry stand. Just a plate setter, so that limits my options too, I'm sure. I've attached a pic of a disposable roasting pan... Is this too big to use, like is it blocking too much air from getting around the platesetter? Do I even need a platesetter for spatchcock? Do I even need a drip pan for spatchcock? What should I do?
LBGE | Conroe, TX

Comments

• TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    I cooked our 12lb Thanksgiving turkey spatchcocked, indirect @ 375, perfect in 2 hours. I injected and rubbed the bird and cooked with 2 chunks of apple wood. I did use a drip pan (a disposable aluminum) but you could just cover the platesetter with alum foil. If you use a platesetter, make sure you raise it a little off the platesetter, otherwise it will all burn. Plenty of info here about spatchcocking, but it's just cutting out the backbone and pushing down the bird to flatten it. Also plenty of YouTube videos on it. Have fun!!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• tisoypops
    Options
    @tct That turkey looks awesome! What did you rub with? What's the benefit to covering the platesetter? So it doesn't get messy? I thought it's supposed to get drippings all over it and eventually be kinda blackened, no? And how do I raise the grid off the platesetter? I'm still new with limited accessories so far.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    Covering platesetter just makes it easy to clean. Just use washers or rolled up balls of tin foil to raise it. The oic is what I used for rub and injection, but any poultry type rub would be fine. I'm pretty new to this whole thing and every cook I've done has turned out easier than I thought it would be. You'll be fine - just watch the temps!!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I do about 5 a year like this::: Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee.. Equal part: Brown Sugar.. ½ part: Black Pepper.. ½ part: Kosher Salt.. ½ part: Garlic Powder.. ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder.. Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Remember that tis is a DIRECT cook. You do not need any of the items you were asking about. If you put anything between the lump and the bird it's not a direct cook.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.