Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New XL Egg Owner

Options
What are the 4 most needed accessories for my new XL Big Green Egg?   I am thinking of cooking both direct and indirect heat.  Ash Tool, Deflector Plate, Grid Extender, Stainless Steel Smoke Stack Cap?

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Thermapen should be high on the list.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• gmoor6
    gmoor6 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks I'm already getting addicted.   
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options

Thermapen. 

Consider an Adjustable Rig (or some variation thereof) intead of the deflector plate and grid extender.  Call Tom at Ceramic Grill Store. http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/

I'm happy with my original cap so I may just be ignorant about the benefits of the stainless steel smoke stack cap. 

And welcome aboard.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Welcome. Thermapen or pop is top of the list. For low and slow a remote thermo is a nicety.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Thats a good start for accessories.
  • MadcapMagician
    Options
    I want to save up for the ash basket, I like the idea of it.
    1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Welcome ...

Yep, something to measure temp should be first ... thermopen is the Cadillac of the lot ... there are other more inexpensive alternatives ... look through the Thermoworks website ... thermopop is a good alternative.  Cooking to temp and not time is Gospel for cooking on the egg.

Without a plate setter or indirect alternative set up, you've given up a lot of the capability of the egg.  Check out the ceramicgrillstore.com for options to cook indirect.

Raised direct is another common method of cooking on the egg ... again, look at the ceramicgrillstore.com for options.  Bricks, beer cans, etc. can raise the grate, but the Woo and the Adjustable Rig are better choices long term.

You want to minimize lifting the lid and peeking in at the meat, so some type of temp measuring instrument is advisable.  Maverick 732 or 733 are two options that have remote monitoring capabilities.  If remote is not necessary, Thermoworks offers some great equipment.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Beer
    Bourbon
    Whiskey
    Crack
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Here are the things I would procure first.  There will be many more, and there's no reason to rush into buying a lot of stuff you won't use.

As previously mentioned: Thermapen

Ceramic Grill Store: Woo2, 17.5" Stone, 18" Drip Pan - This takes care of raised direct, and indirect cook needs.  I'm assuming you do not have a Plate Setter.  If you don't have one, with the CGS Stone, there is no need.  I got one, and it sits at the bottom of my BBQ stuff - unused. http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/xl-woo2.html

Grid Extender?  I have a CGS Adjustable Rig.  It's nice, but if you have the Woo, unless you are doing really big cooks, it won't get used much.  There is lots of space on the XL as is.

Smokeware Cap I would put in the wait a while category.  The BGE cap is functional.  There will be so much stuff you want to buy - try to keep your first purchases to important stuff.

On item that I really like is the Bernzomatic Weed Torch from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-Self-Igniting-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00008ZA0F/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1419987275&sr=8-3&keywords=weed+torch  Using Mapp gas, it will get your lump lit right now.

I use the Ash Tool, but many don't.  Also haven't seen the great utility of the ash basket. 

These are all personal preferences - you will develop your own as you gain experience. 

Enjoy, and if you need me to spend more of your money, don't hesitate to ask - I can give you lots of suggestions.

Santa Paula, CA
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    I'm with sir hen

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• AUCE
    Options
    Seriiysly..:0)
    I'm a noob bge xl owner too. Thermoworks dual temp with smokehouse probes kit. Thermo pop
    Platesetter
    Good gloves

• AUCE
    Options
    Then...the rest of the goodies. ..be patient and research.read posts etc.

• Humpy_Dumpty
    Options
    1) Plate Setter
    2) Pizza Stone
    3) Ashtool (unless you can easily shop vac the ash out)
    4) iGrill 2 thermometer.

Therma pen is great (I have one), but for smoking I don't like having to open the lid to check temperature. Plus the iGrill plots temperature over time on a graph. I love it

Welcome!!
  • AUCE
    Options
    Hardest thing..trust the temp.

• gmoor6
    Options
    Thanks Again to all for the Good advice for this EggBeginner.  I did so much research and comparing between the PRIMO and the XL Green Egg.  At the end of each day I kept coming back to the Big Green Egg as my choice.  After many years of wanting one I finally decided now is the time to get that Big Green Egg XL.  I can't wait to use it.  I will go with the Nest for now until I can decide on the perfect table.  
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Welcome. Did anyone mention beer?
  • gmoor6
    Options
    Beer and other Adult Beverages are aways on deck.  lol
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Two fire bricks in the fire box on edge works well to keep the lump in half the box.if you need to cook direct and indirect on the main grill. I use a third brick cut in thirds to elevate a second grid. Have fun with it and post pictures
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Definately a remote sensor like the Maverick 732 or 33 for low and slows and a plate setter or something similar.  A digital thermometer is a must and as you've seen above Thermopen is the go to item

And most of all welcome, looking forward to some cook pics.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • mmiladinov
    Options
    I'd say everyone had covered most of the immediate essentials. Definitely do your research before purchasing anything. This forum is excellent and contains a wealth of information from very knowledgeable people.

And if you enjoy them, make sure you have some beers at your disposal at all times while egging.

Welcome to the addiction.
  • gmoor6
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses.
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    Once you get going and get comfortable cooking on your new egg, you'll soon want a fail-safe method of heat control on slow cooks.  Hence, the essential elements of hands-free smokes are the Digi-Q and Pit Viper. Been salivating over the system in my dreams since acquiring my XL last April. Well, it was among 1 of my gifts under the tree this year, thank my lucky stars. Can't say enough about it.image
    Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    Options
    Congrats on getting an egg!
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thermapen; Plate setter; Pizza stone w / 3 @ 1/2" copper T's ; Woo2
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Another egg?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    News2u said:

Once you get going and get comfortable cooking on your new egg, you'll soon want a fail-safe method of heat control on slow cooks.  Hence, the essential elements of hands-free smokes are the Digi-Q and Pit Viper. Been salivating over the system in my dreams since acquiring my XL last April. Well, it was among 1 of my gifts under the tree this year, thank my lucky stars. Can't say enough about it.image

I rather have the Pit Master Q120 at about a third of the cost. IMHO.

@gmoor6‌, I got the plate setter, because I wanted to do a low and slow cook quick, but I would have waited and had gotten the AR. I have been told the AR will work with the PS though. Thermopen or ThermoPop and Maverick a must.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DGarner211
    Options
    I'm a relatively new owner as well, and I'd suggest that the "must haves" are a good dual probe electronic thermometer (Maverick 733 for me), a good instant read thermometer (Thermapen for me), the platesetter, and then some basic items like oven gloves, ash tool, grill gripper, etc.  The major purchases I think everyone needs are the thermometers and the platesetter.

I also have a woo and a pizza stone, and I love both, but I could get by without either of them.
    Powder Springs, GA
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    henapple said:
    Beer Bourbon Whiskey Crack
    @henapple   CRACK????

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI