Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate temp dropped to 170 during the night

Options
jdaly81
jdaly81 Posts: 5
I would really appreciate anyone's guidance on this, and I'm hoping I'm making much ado about nothing here...

...but, i have two 7.5 pork butts on the egg right now that I started last night around 9 Eastern Time. The grate temp at that time was roughly 250 degrees. Checked them around 11:30 and the grate temp was still around 225, so I went to bed.

When I woke up this morning around 5:30, the grate temp had dropped to 170, and of course, I have no idea how long it had been around there, but with the egg I would imagine it was a pretty steady decline. I opened the vents and got the grate temp back up to 250 fairly quickly.

As far as safety goes, I'm guessing there's nothing to worry about here, but I wanted to throw my concerns out there just in case. With the grate temp at 170, I don't know how long the meat itself could have been in that 40-140 danger zone.

My brother-in-law is in town from Florida, and he loves him some pork.  Made him some outstanding baby backs last night, and I'd love nothing less than to follow it up by handing him a solid case of food poisoning!

Thanks for anyone's input here!  The butts are still on the smoker...I'm hoping they were in a hot enough cooker for long enough before dropping to ward off any potential negative consequences.

Much obliged,

Joel in Indiana

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think you are fine. As long as the cooker is above 140 it is out of the danger zone. If you were at 170 at the grid then you have nothing to worry about.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the 40-140 danger zone rule applies to cooking temps and refridgeration temps, not internal meat temps. you dont want to store meat where the conditions are between those temps. ive done what your doing many times
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jdaly81
    Options
    Thanks to both of you. Needed a confidence boost here.  I wasn't sure if the 40-140 rule was internal meat temp or ambient temp.

Thanks for the clarification!
  • Humpy_Dumpty
    Options
    Nothing to worry about. This has happened to me with pork shoulder as well. It turned out fine
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yep, you extended your cook time, but that is all.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker