Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PULLED CHUCK ROAST ~~~ Start on egg and finish in pressure cooker???

Options
Smoker317
Smoker317 Posts: 238
We all know that LIFE HAPPENS, well this is one of those moments.  I just started the egg, the significant other wants bbq sliders.  I have a 3 1/2 # chuck roast.  So I am thinking of smoking until 130 at about 275 degrees and then throwing in pressure cooker with some beef broth for 20 minutes or so until the roast is about 210 degrees. 

Is this a foolish plan?  Tips and suggestions welcome.
Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
Smobot
Living near Indy
36" Blackstone

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with that plan.  I think I would try to cook to 160 or so in the egg though.  I don't have a great reason for this but many pulled beef/chuckie recipes suggest cooking to about 160 and then foil/braise.  I'm thinking this might allow more of the fat to cook off so it is not too fatty when finished. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Smoker317
    Options
    That makes sense.  Thanks.  We like bits of bark in our pulled pork and beef, I am tempted to pull off at 160, sear for a couple minutes and then into the pressure cooker for taste.

Anyone have any experience with this?
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    That plan will work but agree with @SmokeyPitt about taking it higher. If you have the time though pepper stout beef will blow your significant other away. In my top 5 favorite cooks on the egg
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Smoker317
    Options
    Thanks Chubbs, I am going to experiment and throw in some onion and peppers in the pressure cooker.  Wish I wasn't rushed for time.  We just got home from vacation yesterday afternoon.  The wife just got back from the grocery and brings home a chuck roast for tonights football dinner.  LOL.  I have no complaints though, these last minute cooks suggested by the wife are good challenges. 
    :)
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Sounds like you could get some tender meat but like the others have said I would run it to 160 before removing it from the smoke. If you aren't crazy stressed for time wrap it or put in a DO with a broth/Worchesteshire mixture. It will take about 2 hrs from this point if you bump to 350.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Smoker317
    Options
    This experiment was a miserable failure.  I smoked at 300 until IT of meat was 161, I put some broth and beer in foil and wrapped it tight.  I left on for another hour, it smelled great and looked great.  The IT was around 175.  I put the liquid from the foil into pressure cooker plus the remainder of the can of broth plus onions and peppers. I pressure cooked for 16 minutes and then tested, the IT of meat was 210 and pulled out nicely.  It pulled easily, but it was dry tasting.  A very under-whelming meal. 

So my guess is that I should have wrapped the chuck in foil at 125-130 to keep moist? 
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have experienced the dry tasting chuckie when I did the initial smoke stage at a higher temp , I now do 225-250 until it of 160 then I wrap and bump the temp. In my opinion bigger hunks of beef are a cook of patience and can't be rushed,it will be done when it gets done. I don't know exactly what caused yours to be dry but it could have been the meat itself. Here is a thread of my last one that turned out really nice and juicy.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1171327/pulled-beef-for-the-week#latest

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Smoker317‌ ...grind up the dry roast and warm in... 2 cups beef stock, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbl worchestire, 1 tbl good bbq rub, 1 stick butter. Simmer 30 min. Inject when cooled. Simple, easy and good.
    cheese, mushrooms, peppers on toasted hoagies.
    The mix is from @Dave in Florida...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Smoker317
    Options
    Thanks guys.  Henapple, that may salvage what is left!!!
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone