Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long before the cook begins?

I am a relatively new egger.

How long do you wait until starting to cook?  I cooked some pork chops last night and they had a bad taste (at least in my opinion.........no complaints from the family).  The grill was set at 350 direct raised. I put the meat on about 25-30 minutes after the first match.  I used a BGE cardboard-like square as a starter with some apple chips that I put in about 5 minutes prior to placing the meat. Royal Oak lump.

I'm thinking I didn't wait long enough for the initial smoke to clear. I did put my hand over the daisy wheel and it smelled good prior to putting on the meat.
Montgomery, OH
Large BGE

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    It sounds like you did everything correct to ensure that the nasties were gone. I found when quick cooks like chops that the lump would impart enough smoke flavor for my taste and I don't add any extra smoke now. This will vary by lump as some are more smokey than others.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Royal Oak has a smokey taste also even with VOCs burned off. If the problem consists and you think the VOCs are burning off, but RO is still smokey try a neutral lump.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    First up-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  The simple smoke test, "If it smells good then it is good" takes the guess-work out of the VOC question.  Now regarding the "good" smoke, as has been mentioned different brands of lump have different natural smoke profiles.  So if you are still getting too much smoke flavor from the lump alone then you may want to try a more "smoke neutral" lump.  Rockwood and Wicked Good are about the most smoke neutral that I have found. I'm sure there are others.   FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Lots of factors in how long before the cook begins. Wind, amount of charcoal, starting method, etc. I use 2 or 3 starter squares and under normal conditions it's ready in 15 minutes, 20 tops.
    McKinney, TX
  • Papzi
    Papzi Posts: 39
    I only used one starter square.  I don't think all of the lump was glowing...mostly the coals around the starter.  I'll use more next time.
    Montgomery, OH
    Large BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    @Papzi-head's up; you don't need all the lump burning to get rid of the VOC's.  The ambient temp surrounding the localized area of the fire is hot enough to do the job.  The small initial fire volume is how the BGE can run for many hours (24+-LBGE) without a lump reload for low&slow cooks.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Most will not add any smoking woods when doing direct cooks, some will, but your food will definitely be quite smokey if you add wood. The size and type of protein makes a big difference when it comes to chips and chunks. It is easy to over do it with the smoke. Less is more to start, then ease it up if you find it not smokey enough. Hard to over smoke a pork butt, easy to over smoke a chicken.
  • Papzi
    Papzi Posts: 39
    I think I may have over-smoked the meat. Thanks for the input all!
    Montgomery, OH
    Large BGE