Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Wood

Options
What are your thoughts on using green wood for smoking?

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    As long as you have "good" smoke it shouldn't make a huge difference. I've used some green cherry and oak and didn't notice a big difference other than it seemed to take longer to get good smoke. I typically use dry seasoned wood chunks.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    @SGH could answer, but in stick burners it's ok, in the egg where it smolders maybe not so good but like @NPHuskerFL‌ says if it smells good should be ok
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • AR_Pork_Producer
    AR_Pork_Producer Posts: 87
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've known green hickory to leave a bitter taste!!

Large BGE, Holland Gas Grill, Masterbuilt electric smoker, Oklahoma Joe, Flame Boss
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    If its a fruitwood then green is ok. If its hardwood like hickory or oak then I like it dried out. But make sure the bad smoke is gone before cooking on it. YMMV

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I've known green hickory to leave a bitter taste!!

It certainly can and will if caution is not used. There is no real harm in using green wood other than the chance of getting a bitter or off taste. On the egg I recommend against using it as the egg does not truly burn. Much more likely to get a off taste due to this. That said you can use it if you use small pieces and use them sparingly. Its just not ideal in the egg. In a roaring offset I burn the crap out of it with good results. But even when using it on my offset I wait until I have a well established fire and coal bed. Again it can be done in a kamado style cooker, its just not ideal. One last point, some woods are milder than others so its easier to get away with using green Apple wood versus say Hickory or Mesquite.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• drbeachy
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I heard some one talking about using green wood but, have never tried it. I think I will stick with seasoned wood.