Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The XL And Extreme Precipitation...

Options
Hoping others don't make the same mistake I did...

On Christmas Eve, I discovered that my XL was rather soaked. We'd had a solid four days of heavy rain here in SoCal a week or so prior, and it appeared The Hulk (as we call it) had taken on water like a depth-charged U-boat. I never leave a cap on the top vent now, after having one get caught in the cover while I removed it, falling out and cracking the dome. That, combined with the fact that my cover has seen better days and is apparently no longer water resistant, allowed water to get in via the top vent.

After spending about an hour cleaning it out in preparation for our Christmas Eve prime rib, I decided to light a quick and hot fire in it in an effort to remove some of the moisture that the ceramic had undoubtedly absorbed. What happened surprised me.

The moisture inside was turned to steam by the heat, but as it exited the top vent on that very cool morning, it condensed immediately and precipitated all over the dome (and an area around the Egg of about a six-foot diameter) as a sticky gooey rust-colored mess. It was a remarkable phenomena to watch, actually...looking vaguely geyser-like as it happened. Unfortunately, the only thing to do was to let it go until it stopped, then close the vents to kill the fire.

So if anything like having your egg fill up with water happens to you, DON'T DO WHAT I DID. Clean it out, then let it air dry. Or at least don't close the lid on the fire.

:)

Comments

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Interesting. Did you take pics of the occurrence? Did it actually dry the egg and we're you able to use it?
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • 3GunFlyer
    Options
    I didn't think to snap photos of the mess. It did come off with some 409, a scrub sponge, and a bit of elbow grease after it cooled enough.

And yes, it did dry the egg out nicely and I was able to use it for a cook that afternoon.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I'd say you're lucky you didn't crack any ceramic. I was in SoCal recently for vacation, and the Pineapple Express Delivered some rainy days for us.
    Here's Oceanside from the pier:

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• 3GunFlyer
    Options
    Yep. That was the storm.

You're probably right about the ceramic, now that I think about it. I suppose there was a possibility. All came through okay, though. Must have been the slow temperature rise.