Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornish Hens x14

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
Helping with Christmas dinner at my brother-in-law's tonight. We need a little more egg space so I brou the Mini and the SBGE to assist.

14 stuffed birds in all. Double-decked on his LBGE with 9. One on the mini. Four on the SBGE. Sure hope we can pull this off. I've never done these before and the cooking is so cramped we may have to pull some to the oven. Don't want to eat at midnight. imageimage
L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• CoalCreek
    Options
    The sight of those 3 eggs together is pretty easy on the eyes.  Looks delish
    Minneapolis, MN
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That looks like a fun challenge. I'm sure you can pull it off without a hitch.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by for the finale.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Looks like fun
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Done deal! Turned out pretty well but took a lot of babysitting. Here's a plated pic and a couple of the end of the cook. A few of them ended up a little past temp (those were the ones in the pans full of juice). I had to rotate them in and out of the pan and from top to bottom rack to have things come out close to the same timing. My BIL and I were the last two to eat and the bird I ate was very good. I put a handful of cherry chips in right before I put the birds on and they had a nice little touch of smoke. We didn't end up putting any in the oven and everything timed out pretty well. For sure one of the more challenging cooks I've done as we pushed the limit of egg capacity and had some hot spots and flare ups with the butter basting.

All in all, a very Merry Christmas.

imageimageimage
    eggAddict from MN!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    A lot of work, but it sure looks like it was worth it.
    Congrats!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • minniemoh
    Options
    Thanks for the compliment @jaydub58. Anytime I can cook that much food and everyone is happy as it hits their mouth, it's worth it. I still can't believe it came out as good as it did. I really felt like the odds were not in my favor at the start. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Awesome cook brother man!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• minniemoh
    Options
    Thanks @shtgunal3. I'll definitely give these a try at my house sometime as it would be quite a bit easier with more cook space. They were delicious.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I thought I may try to spatch a Cornish hen and throw it on the mini.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• minniemoh
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    I thought I may try to spatch a Cornish hen and throw it on the mini.
    Just do a 4 lb chicken. It will fit and then you can share or have leftovers. Spatching a cornish hen would be kind of fun though. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a first round knockout to me ^:)^ =D> ^:)^

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You nailed it
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Very nice. I love cornish hens, and I have never had them egged before. I am sure they were great! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's