Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Eve Filet Mignon

Options
SaltySam
SaltySam Posts: 887
Merry Christmas!

Initially my plan was to attempt a Beef Wellington for the big day. But, the smallest tenderloin I could find was $108 and was over five pounds. That's way too much for four people. So, I opted for four pre-cut filets.

I got to utilize two Christmas presents even before the big day. I started by using my new Mapp torch to thaw out the draft door, which was frozen shut from the recent rains. Once open, I lit the coals in about 30 seconds. Best $37.99 I've ever spent.

Then I set up the new adjustable rig, for a raised indirect cook. I got the temp stable at 300, and put the four bacon wrapped filets in. It took about 25 minutes to come up to 115, and then I pulled the stone to go direct.

I had several bundles of asparagus with oil and S+P ready to go. Grilled those for about four minutes on the lower rack, then brought them in to wrap them in prosciutto. I probably should have secured the meat down because they didn't stay stuck too well. They went back on the top rack for a few minutes to crisp up the prosciutto. They didn't end up looking the best, but they tasted great.

Then I opened up the egg, and got to about 600. I seared the filets on each side for about 60 seconds. Pulled, rested for five minutes and shacked the temps at 135. They were so tender.

The Mrs made wedge salads with dynamite blue cheese dressing, and baked potatoes. The plated shot shows how classy we are, complete with a paper towel for a napkin.

We are stuffed as ticks now. Getting ready to fill the stockings and finish the glass of wine we poured. Definitely a great meal to celebrate Christmas.

Hope you all have a great holiday!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments