Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10 Pound Turbo Picnic Ham.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Nothing special tonight as I'm really pressed for time. Had to work today and got to work part of tomorrow as well. Since time is short, I'm going to run this bad boy at 450 degrees until the internal hits 120 degrees and then I will drop temp to a more controllable 350 degrees to finish.This will cut the cooking time in half at least. Added 2 cups of liquid to the pan due to the very high cooking temps. The rub is just salt, pepper and cayenne. This ham is for slicing so I will pull it at a perfect 150 degrees internal. This will be cooked on the BGE but the big units are standing by at the ready just in case. Hope everyone has a safe and Merry Christmas.
imageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SGH
    Options
    Going on the egg at 450 degrees.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nice! Looks great!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • corb69
    corb69 Posts: 155
    Options
    You're the man!!!
  • SGH
    Options
    45 minutes in.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Turned out pretty good to be cooked spur of the moment and at nuclear temps.
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Looks great Scotty!!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Looks great. Ham is one of my very favorites. ;)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nice work Scotty! =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options

Looks great. Ham is one of my very favorites. ;)

Hmmm. I have heard that line somewhere before. I wonder where though :-?

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    This was a first time turboing a ham for me. Got to say that it worked out pretty dog gone good over all. I did have to tent the ham with foil for the last 45 minutes of cook time to avoid over darkening. But short of this I was well pleased with the turbo method. I would certainly do it again in a pinch. One other thing worthy of mention, all the fruit cooked away at these high temps. This isn't a big issue as I merely add more during the last 15 minutes of cooking. The taste was spot on. Only a slight difference in the texture.

Status- Standing by.