Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ideas needed from those in the know! (Pork Burnt Ends)

Grillmagic
Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
I have 2 fully cooked 2 to 3 pound pork tenderloins left and was thinking of cubing them and doing burnt ends? Yay or nay? They were cooked to 140 degrees and are already fully cooked?
Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• I'd say it's worth a shot, but it wouldn't expect them to come out like the burnt ends you get from a brisket point. The big difference there will be fat content of the meat. brisket point is VERY fatty (and therefore delicious) and the longer cooking and extra seasoning just render out the most delicious flavor possible. With pork tenderloin you are starting from something MUCH leaner. It's entirely possible this too will turn out delicious, but I'm guessing the texture might not be great (I'm thinking maybe a little mealy) and it might be quite dry, rather than moist...

If you decide to think about other options I'd look to the soups/stews/sauces end of the spectrum to help retain whatever moisture is left.

Good luck and have fun.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Nay not enough fat to cook that long
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I agree I don't think they are fatty enough to do burnt ends per se...but if you just wanted to cube em up and put them in a pan of sauce and reheat them I bet they would turn out pretty good.  I think the key is you are really just looking to warm them up...not cook the $hit out of them like you would a fatty brisket point. 

I think it would be good to slice them, reheat them in a pan with sauce, then serve them as sliders. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Grillmagic‌- More often than not, loin is useless for true burnt ends.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    SGH said:

@Grillmagic‌- More often than not, loin is useless for true burnt ends.

Thanks I will take your word on this, I have a couple of fully cooked to 140 tenderloins and need to repurpose them and thought Burntends. I will probably just foil and reheat.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE