Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

36 lbs of delicious pig parts

Options
Bought 3 bellies at RD last week. $2.11 per lb and they were skinned and as squared off as any I have bought. Really nice and at $2.11lb, really cheap.

They have been in the brine since last Sunday. Pulled them today, rinsed and gave an hour long soak to desalinate a bit. Drying in the fridge overnight (bought 3 cooling/drying racks and cookie sheets at RD when I was there).

On unit 2 tomorrow for an all day smoke over Apple pellets with the AMS.

Bellies in brine before the rinse and soak:

Here is the desalination/ice bath:

Check in tomorrow after the smoke...
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Eggpharmer
    Options
    Yum, going to have to check out RD..Ruhlman's cure?
    Austin, TX
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Beautiful pig for sure.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yum, going to have to check out RD..Ruhlman's cure?

yes. It's ruhlmans cure. I find its way too salty out of the bag but an hour soak mellows it just enough. I'm a salt fiend too so I'm guessing it's too salty for most.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Boom!!! That just happened! Excellent Tex! =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Got 2 of them on unit #2 with the Adjustable Rig. They are about the size of a brisket. Little longer and a little thinner. AMS is humming along loaded with Traeger Apple pellets. Great day to cold smoke. It's in the high 40's with overcast skies. The egg won't heat up a bit. I'll go 6-8 hrs on these 2 then add the last belly later this evening to go overnight. I could do it on unit 1 but I only have 1 AMS. Could probably rig something up but not in any hurry today so just cruising along today.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Will you slice and cook as bacon after the cold smoke? I have always hot smoked mine at 190 degrees. I guess I don't really need to do that.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Got 2 of them on unit #2
    I like the above nomenclature ;) Standing by for the finale brother Tex. Wish that I was home cooking but im stuck out here on this stupid barge.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• matt121966
    Options
    Pig - an amazing animal.
    Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I feel so insignificant. I haven't identified my unit with nomenclature. :-<
    Wait we're talking about eggs right :-\"
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hi54putty said:

Will you slice and cook as bacon after the cold smoke? I have always hot smoked mine at 190 degrees. I guess I don't really need to do that.

Yeah, just like store bought bacon. I like the texture better. It is riskier but I'm pretty good about hawking the temps and keeping every surface sanitized during the prep stages. I don't do it in the summer when our outdoor temps are too high.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:

Got 2 of them on unit #2

I like the above nomenclature ;) Standing by for the finale brother Tex. Wish that I was home cooking but im stuck out here on this stupid barge.

I thought you would enjoy that little shout out. Good luck on the barge. Does not sound like fun.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Need More Parts :)>- imageimage
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lkapigian said:

looks like we are almost down to the hot dog makins'
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:

looks like we are almost down to the hot dog makins'
    Without the Filler..........Could darn near make head cheese
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Poor ole SGH is having to work hard while Yall cook and eat :-<

imageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lkapigian
    Options
    SGH said:

imageimage
    Building a new Smoker?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lkapigian said:

SGH said:

imageimage

Building a new Smoker?

Untit 8 in its conceptual stages
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    How'd you food safer the brine? Just carefully? I Need to brine my crown roast and though of using food safer because I don't have fridge space for a bucket or large Tupperware

XLBGE 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2014
    Options
    How'd you food safer the brine? Just carefully? I Need to brine my crown roast and though of using food safer because I don't have fridge space for a bucket or large Tupperware

it starts as a dry brine. The liquid is from the belly. There is some maple syrup in there but as long as the bellies are, you can pour the syrup to the bottom of the bag and you can seal without that being much of an issue. You don't want a full vac anyway. You want some room in there so the liquid can move around as you rotate the bags.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Oh ok. I was thinking a traditional salt water brine and just basically using the food saver to make a large ziploc bag. Not full on vacuum just seal it.

XLBGE 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh ok. I was thinking a traditional salt water brine and just basically using the food saver to make a large ziploc bag. Not full on vacuum just seal it.

correct. I did put a little vacuum on these but you probably shouldn't. It's really just a big bag so it really does not matter how you get there. I like the food saver because you can make long bags in the shape of the belly. You put the dry ingredients-salt, pink salt, sugar, and the other seasonings you want in there and then I add a little maple syrup (you don't have to use maple syrup but it really like the flavor it adds) and seal it up. Over the next day or 2 the belly will release all that liquid and mix with the brine. That's where the magic happens.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Hmm, did not see bellies there...
    Dunedin, FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    yzzi said:
    Hmm, did not see bellies there...

my pics are of 3 12 lb bellies in the cure. The other pics are of just about every other part of the pig.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

it starts as a dry brine. The liquid is from the belly. There is some maple syrup in there but as long as the bellies are, you can pour the syrup to the bottom of the bag and you can seal without that being much of an issue. You don't want a full vac anyway. You want some room in there so the liquid can move around as you rotate the bags.
    I use the foodsaver bags for bacon curing.  I remove all the air.  The less air the more salt solution in contact with the meat. 
    Options

I love me some pig parts. All of that looks beautiful.

And why the heck did you go and  rechristen Curry Egg?? She's shedding a small lamb juice-infused tear... 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.