Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cook it or trash it?

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
Chicken breasts from Costco in the big multi-pack (2 boneless/skinless breasts per pouch) with a sell-by date of 3-7-13 have been in my freezer since bought.  That's about 20 months in the freezer.  I know they're supposed to still be "safe" to eat, but would you cook and eat them, or toss them buy some fresher meat?  It's 4 breasts.  Bonus points if you've eaten frozen chicken "older" than this and can say how it turned out.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    We didnt eat it, but when we moved to our current house there was a 5 year old whole chicken in the freezer of our old house.
  • njl
    Options
    According to the USDA, frozen, it's good indefinitely.  AFAIK, taste and texture begin to suffer at some point.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    It would still be safe 100 years from now but may not taste so great. I'd trash it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Cook it up and if it tastes good, eat it. If it tastes freezer burnt, feed it to the dogs.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I've eaten 3+ yr old meatballs (cooked Indian style), that moved with me from Chicago to Iowa, because my mom had cooked them. They were already cooked, and Indian spices are not necessarily gentle. Tasted great.

If the breasts are vac packed you may stand a chance. If you really want to, grill em but don't put too much effort into it Have a back-up in case they don't taste decent.

Or just cook something else to begin with :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • njl
    Options
    This is to be part of my food over the Christmas holiday, so I've chickened out.  If it's no good, finding back-up food may be problematic.  I have a section of a rack of pork I seasoned and foodsavered/froze just a few weeks ago.  I just moved that from the freezer to the fridge.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Well, you can be the chicken or eat the chicken, Eat or be eaten, Be the bug or the windshield, if you're scared say your scared, etc, etc. just kidding. Better safe than sorry. :))
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Trash it. Chicken is relatively inexpensive. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Wilma is not into eating experimental food.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    It will be just fine, assuming that they stayed frozen since 3/2013. Those bags are vac sealed so there should be no freezer burning.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If it looks freezer burned, I would toss it, but with a good vac sealer or if cryovac'd, I have never seen freezer burn. If I get lazy and throw something in a zip bag "for a few days" and then forget about it, burn can happen. But if it looks good, it will be good. I usually don't even bother to date what goes into my freezer. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Black_Badger
    Options
    I agree with what's been said, but I think it's really interesting no one has asked HOW you're planning to cook this chicken?

Would I grill it? Probably not, I think there's a good chance it'll b tough.

Would I smoke/BBQ it? Again, probably not, I only really like to do this with fresh, never frozen chicken, which isn't terribly expensive relative to most meats.

Would I stew it, or use it in a soup? Hell yeah I would!

So, what's the plan here?

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I stopped freezing chicken. Unless you are getting the free range special organic etc chicken breasts you can get 4 breasts for under $10 and not even have to wait for them to thaw.
  • njl
    Options
    I was planning to sous vide it and then sear in cast iron.  I still might...I moved it back to the freezer, still frozen solid last night...so I can either toss it later or try cooking it.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options

I have definitely eaten the exact Costco chicken you are describing well past (at least a year) the "sell by" date.  It is fine.

If it appears to have freezer burn then I toss it.  But I've never had that happen without a breach (caused by me) in the packaging. 

The breasts that have been frozen a long time don't seem to be quite as good as the ones that were "fresher", but they are "fine".  At this point, I think the onus is on you to cook it up and tell us how it tasted. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Probably edible. If the wrapping is sealed, and you are not seeing a lot of ice crystals on the surface, they might still be enjoyable. If they look dessicated, roast 'em w. butter and vegs and then use for broth.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I hate to throw anything out - I'm not squeamish about "old" meat, but "if in doubt, throw it out" applies to anything that smells. If they have any odor at all, they go in a ziplock and then outside, not the kitchen garbage.

Thaw those breasts and give it a sniff test. If there is no odor, they're good enough for soup. If there is no odor and no freezer burn, they're good enough for sandwiches.  The whole reason we cook chicken to 165f is to kill any bacteria - so we eat dead bacteria all the time.

Dinner with friends - I never feed friends suspicious meat, but I'll cook and carefully taste old meat for myself. Once chicken is 165f, it's safe to eat - it may not be desireable to eat, but it's safe.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2014
    Options
    As long as it was frozen and never defrosted then refrozen it is ok. I'd cook it, taste it and if good....cool ....if not the dog or wildlife will appreciate it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    If you don't want to trash it, I would tend to chop it up and use it in something like chicken tetrazini or chicken salad sandwiches.  If it is covered with ice crystals, that is the moisture that has worked it's way out of the meat and is the sign of freezer burn.  If it was vacu-sealed and still looks like fresh breast meat when thawed, then it should be grillable.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Trash it.  Chicken is cheep, cheep, cheep.....
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I wouldn't have grilled it, but stir fried and added to rice it would have been fine.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Chicken is cheap...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN