Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Soon To Be New Owner

Options
Mikee
Mikee Posts: 892
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum

I have a $500 gift certificate at a local retailer that sells Eggs. I had it for about 8 months and planned on using it to towards buying a large egg to supplement my small. Whenever I mentioned it to either of my daughters I would rather quickly hear ' What are you doing with the one you have?' I have no plans on getting rid of the small. I cook 80-90% of my dinners on it. The large would be for larger cooks.

My oldest daughter and her husband have everything they need. If they truly wanted an egg, they could have got one last year but choose to get an expensive gas Weber. Nice grill but certainly not what I would buy. My younger daughter at the moment has no grill. I really wanted to get her the new minimax for Christmas.The dealer wanted $705 for the minimax with plate setter and would not budge in price. They are a low volume dealer (aka full MSRP+). It just so happened they had also had a small egg on display. I told them if they threw in the plate setter and ash tool, I would take the small. Salesman asked his boss, and the rest is history. I only paid $250 for the certificate. The small egg was $571, so I had to dish out another $71. So for $321 I got a small egg, plate setter and ash tool. I have already have a small nest siting in my garage as my small sits in a table.

Bottom line is that I'll have to wait for my large egg. The bigger issue may be dealing with the older daughter when opening up presents on Christmas. My youngest is going to be joining the ranks as an Egg owner

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Take a pic of the older daughter/and hubby when the younger daughter opens small egg. You are very kind
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mikee
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Take a pic of the older daughter/and hubby when the younger daughter opens small egg. You are very kind

I love both off them. Difference is one has it all and the other just keeps taking two steps forward and one step backwards.

Ever since I got my Egg years ago, both have been intrigued. They both know about BGE. The older daughter now has a family of 5 and a small is not going to cut the mustard in a few more years. My guess is that they will convert to an Egg in the next couple of years anyway. When I buy a large, chances are it will be for me. 

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Sounds like the older made her choice for a gasser, with 5 they definitely should go larger.  Chances are they paid nearly the same for the Weber.  I was being cheap and wanted a medium, but my lovely bride said "if you're going to get one at least get the large, I think you'd regret the smaller one and she was right.

What a Dad!!
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    I'm a noob to the bge game and own an xl I LOVE. if funds permit I'll be buying 2 smalls next year for the 2 of 6 kids that will appreciate and use them.
    I'm a believer and just last night after a porterhouse cook talked with my wife about how glad I am I have it.
    I've got about 10 cooks under my belt now and am looking forward to a rolled loin for christmas. Your daughter will thank you many times over. Get her going and indoctrinate her on a spatch chicken imo and she'll be hooked for life. ..

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    That's a great gift!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Mikee
    Options

I can't imagine what its like cooking on an XL. I stopped by another dealer today, just started selling BGE about a year ago, and looked at a XL and the fire grate. Wow! Those things sure look like they burn a bunch of lump compared to the small. The small is great, but the larger eggs seem to have an advantage at getting to higher temps easier and quicker. The other dealer also had the metal carts; very nice.

We celebrate and exchange gifts at my older daughters home. The younger daughter is moving the first week of January so the Egg will be there a couple of weeks. My guess is the older daughter/son-in-law will be bird-dogging the Egg. I expect their Weber to be craigslist in the spring.

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    She sealer her fate when she bought a gasser. Don't get me wrong I use my gasser all the time -it stores all of my BGE accessories!
  • Mikee
    Options
    Miked125 said:
    She sealer her fate when she bought a gasser. Don't get me wrong I use my gasser all the time -it stores all of my BGE accessories!

Same here. The gasser hasn't been lit in 5-6 years. The gas grill does have a single burner stove that I do plan on removing and attaching to the egg table.

While I do not know all the details, my guess is her husband choose the Weber. Weber makes some great products. Gas grills are still are popular. For the most part, they are better than cooking on the stove top or oven. Most of us have had a gas grill years ago and loved them. I never heard of BGE until I seen one on an online auction site. My first thought was it was sort of ugly and overpriced. I did some Googling and that changed my thoughts. I would never go back to gas.

I dropped off a turkey at the older daughters home to today. I also dropped of the egg and accessories (gift wrapped in boxes) so that it would be less to transport tomorrow.  She asked what it was. All I said was that it was Green and she immediately said Green Egg. Her husband immediately walked away. Hopefully, they buy an Egg before next Christmas or I'm going to have buy them one.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    My mini I was my first egg, it was a great way to learn egging and be sure I was up to putting the effort in to use it. The large came a year later..fun stuff and always time to upgrade later.
    Seattle, WA
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Saw my first XXL yesterday at Dave's Ace Hardware ... that is a seriously big egg. With a seriously big price ... even with their 20% discount.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max