Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just noticed a crack in my base

Options
I got a new dome under warranty about two months ago but I hadn't checked my base in a while. After putting my chicken on tonight I decided to take a good look at the bottom. Low and behold:image
How long can I expect this to not be a problem?
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    If the dome was under warranty, I would get a new base before your warranty runs out.

It won't get better, it will only get worse.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SloppyJoe
    Options
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    Isn't warranty lifetime?

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Yeah it is, not worried about that and I will definitely go ahead and make a claim. I just wonder about using it in the meantime. How hot and often and such.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    If the dome was under warranty, I would get a new base before your warranty runs out.

Lifetime warranty on ceramics.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Is it on a deck?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    That's a big ass crack. Normally they are hairline.
  • jls9595
    Options
    henapple said:
    Is it on a deck?
    it is in a wood table on a concrete patio under a wooden pergola, so...
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    Options
    I plan on cleaning it out and checking for more tomorrow, but likely just low temp cooks for a while.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    DieselkW said:

Warranty runs out :-??
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jls9595
    Options
    Lit said:
    it is? that is worrisome
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I guess it's that time of year. Warranty rocks. Can you slide a metal pan or upside down garbage can lid underneath until you get it replaced?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    jls9595 said:

Lit said:

it is? that is worrisome

Either way big or small it's under warranty. Take some more pics and start the process so you can get your new base asap.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jls9595
    edited December 2014
    Options
    good idea @DMW, I can do that. would give me a little more piece of mind.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    Did you do high temp clean burns? .... just curious.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • jls9595
    Options
    Did you do high temp clean burns? .... just curious.
    Not at all until this past October I was doing a long burn but not wide open. Maintained 800* for an hour until I went to check it and the dome fell out onto the ground when I opened it. Warranty covered that. I know this crack was not there then because I checked it over really well. 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • RickyBobby
    Options
    I may be wrong and catch heat for saying this but I avoid the high heat clean burns with my XL. It sure does seem like the fellas doing them are more susceptible to cracked Eggs. I have owned my XL for roughly 2 yrs now and 650 is about the hottest I've cooked with it. I guess with the bullet proof warranty that BGE provides it's not a big deal but I just wouldn't want the hassle of having to swap things out.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Personally, I would hate to deal with an egg in operation that cracked open enough to spill out the burning lump.  If it was mine, I wouldn't use it at all and I would wait for my warranty replacement.
    But that's just me, I prefer to be careful that way.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• jls9595
    Options
    @Zmokin I feel the same way, I might just go buy a fire extinguisher and keep using it though. I did put a metal garbage can lid under it as well. I definitely won't be doing and over night or high heat cook though.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • matt121966
    Options
    Let's us know how you did.

Can't imagine that getting bigger with hot coals spilling out.

But a new lower would be nice.

Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Let's us know how you did.

Can't imagine that getting bigger with hot coals spilling out.

But a new lower would be nice.

neither can I.
    but I can see another crack forming, that then intersects that crack.
    and then maybe you end up with a pie shaped wedge of bottom dropping out.
    I don't know if it has happened before, I just know I can see it could possibly happen.

I'm a better safe than sorry kind of person.  I have the mandatory smoke alarms in my house. 
    but then I also have 2 extra detectors, one smoke detector in my house tied into the burglar alarm and another heat sensor in the garage connected to the burglar alarm.
    I then have 4 fire extinguishers around my house. One close to my kitchen in the hallway closet.
    One in the laundry room. One in the garage. and the 4th out in a cabinet with my gasser.

don't get me wrong, I'm not paranoid of fire.  One time out in a rain drenched forest, I accidentally ended up with a wet fuel bottle on fire.  while my cohorts were panicking and yelling for me to throw the flaming gas bottle, I calmly but quickly screwed the top all of the way back on the bottle so no more gas would leak out before I tossed it on the ground and then I wiped the fire out that was on my hands.  I received no burns.

I enjoy a good campfire, but I have a healthy appreciation for what fire can do, especially left un-attended, and while cooking on my egg, I'm never sitting there watching it 100%.  so for me, an existing crack, especially down at the bottom as shown in the picture, is a show stopper.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what they should do, I'm only sharing what I would do.  So far we are a free society and you have the freedom to make your own choices in life.  Well, free to do the things the Feds haven't banned yet anyway.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.