Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: iMac breathing issue? What's happening? HELP!!!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
Yesterday for the first time and now several times today there is a very loud sound coming from the back of my iMac. It is not from the speaker, but is the sound of rushing air. Near the middle of the backside there is a louvered vent and air is definitely rushing out of it. I leave this iMac up 24/7 and it has never had this happen. There are no external heat sources nearby. What's going on?
NOW IT HAS quit...now it is pulsing...now it has stopped...
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sometimes the video card or processor gets overworked. There is a widget that will tell you what fan is working overtime. I believe its called Istat. Flash does this to me sometimes.
    Aurora,OH
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Sounds like overheating, with the fan running like crazy to try and cool it down. A vacuum and a can of compressed air might help.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    THANKS, guys! Me and the iMac are breathing like normal now! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Dust can start clogging the vents, forcing the fans to work overtime to keep things cool. As noted above, a few bursts of canned air do the trick.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker