Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold weather gasket replacement

Options
Going to be in charge of my Mother in Laws birthday dinner on the 28th, and my gaskets on both my medium and large are shot. Want to replace the gaskets for maximum temp control, is there a safe way to put a rutland gasket on when the daily temp is barely freezing temps?
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I'll be watching this one. My gasket's good, but with all the gasket stories, I might have to do the same thing if it goes bad.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    1) Can you move it inside?  Inside the garage?

2) Drape a tarp/tent/shelter over it?  Heat the sheltered space with a resistance heater?

3) Build a cardboard shelter ... again use a resistance heater?

4) Put a large wattage light bulb inside to warm the ceramic?

5) Befriend a neighbor with a propane deck heater?

5) Ignore the cold and just replace the seal ...

@RRP ... I think Ron posted somewhere that he talked to the sealant manufacturer and it'll cure down to a pretty low temp.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Search for Permatex cure. Among others...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Never done a Rutland (other than in the wood stove) have helped a friend do a High-Que at close to freezing. Because it was self stick it went on in no time - still on the MBGE now. Done over two days. After a cook, with the egg still warm (Dome <200ºF) scraped off the old gasket and prepped the surface. Next morning started a small fire and then let it cool like the day before, took about 30 seconds to lay the gasket on. Closed the dome and threw on old sleeping bag over the egg. Next day she was good to go. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Going to be in charge of my Mother in Laws birthday dinner on the 28th, and my gaskets on both my medium and large are shot. Want to replace the gaskets for maximum temp control, is there a safe way to put a rutland gasket on when the daily temp is barely freezing temps?

I posed the curing question to the manufacturer of Permatex Ultra Copper and their technical reply was that yes you can apply it at temperatures between 20 and 30F though the ideal temperature is between 50 and 80F. Silicones such as Permatex are moisture cured so temperatures above and below these ranges remove that element. Curing occurs in 24 hours. If you are able to warm surfaces to at least the 40 to 50F range that will help for better bonding across the surfaces.

OTOH just building a fire in your egg to try to speed the curing up does NOT help - it needs the 24 hours as a “chemical cure - not a heat cure”.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Thanks for the input gentleman, I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to try to replace the gaskets until the weather improves.  Been damp with rain/sleet/snow for the last 3 days. Going to just wing it and hope that my experience with using the BGE wins out over lack of gasket for this cook. 

Thanks again for the input and Merry Christmas, and happy holidays to all. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Who needs a gasket. Been commando for 2 years. I stripped off the old gasket and reseated/adjusted the dome. Not much leakage. There are times when I want to put a Rutland on it but I don't even have time to cook on it that much lately.

Garnerville, NY
  • Coach292
    Options
    You could put a thin layer of foil down in the areas where the gasket is worn out to help you maintain the temperature you need. I've done this before out of pure laziness.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Well finally had a decent day that coincided with a day off from work and the kids actually having school so used a Rutland on the Large with permatex Ultra Copper and just a High Heat BGE on the Medium because it was a spur of the moment decision to do it.  Used a 3m Paint/Rust remover to get rid of the chunks that were still there, polished with a pumice stone, then installed. 

I was in a hurry and didn't remove the the dome from either, which on the medium was a mistake as I couldn't get the self adhesive to stick and finally gave up. The Rutland went really well onto the Large and it's sitting there curing now.  Of course when I started we were above 50 degrees and I hadn't seen a drop in temp forecasted, but not more then a hour later it was below 50. 

Oh well let you know how it turns out, and @RRP I'm going to need a gasket for the Medium, send me a DM if you see this otherwise I will reach out tomorrow.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about that drop in temperature. Remember what I posted about from the mfg of Permatex? You could have gone down to 20 although that temp is not the best. Besides it hardens in an hour and then the cure is a chemical cure not a heat cure. Email about the other request. OK?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.