Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hold my beer and watch this - wings edition

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,627
edited December 2014 in Poultry
Ever since that post about showing your best wings, I've had wings on the brain. I've wanted to cook some, but have been busy with everything else lately - go figure.

Today I hit a wall, got home from a day of last minute shopping, errands, traffic and rude people. I want wings damnit and I want to stand outside with a beer until I reek of smoke!

I couldn't bear to head back to the store, so I'm trying something that may just be a crash and burn, we'll see.

Started with frozen wings. Rock hard, you know, frozen. Put 'em in a big bowl and covered LIBERALLY with several rubs and generous amounts of baking powder. The 'several rubs' strategy grew out of the thread a week or two ago about how many rubs you have in your collection. I realized I have a bunch that are so-so and I stopped using them, but don't want to waste them, so I mixed them all up.

Stir, stir, stir again to coat them well. The rubs, baking powder and slowly defrosting wings make a kind of paste.

I put them on ~275 raised indirect with a drip pan and we'll see what happens. I'm expecting to cook ~90 min and will work my way up toward 400 for the last 20-30 min. imageimage

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead...Game on and most eggcellent  cook.  I couldn't care about the cook-the spirit counts!!  You may get the best of both worlds.   :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Don't forget to takes before you eat them all.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Legume
    edited December 2014
    Options
    imageimageimage

This worked well, I followed my plan but found I had to cook them longer and really had to run up the heat at the end. I cooked them just over 90 minutes and ended ~500 degrees. I would have been happier with another 10-15 minutes, but I like my wings pretty crispy.

Would I do it again, yes, good way to use frozen wings and the prep and cook are low effort. However, given the time, I prefer fresh wings, early prep and rest in the fridge.

I got my wings! Now I just need to stop dreaming about all of these stuffed burgers, pork roasts/dbl chops and the rib roasts, oh the rib roasts. Visiting family x2 this year, so no egging for me for a couple of weeks. Be safe everyone!
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    The best way is always to take your time and do it right. But that's one of my favorite things about egging is most of the time you can pull something off like this with minimal effort that will still taste better then most other options. Nicely done!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @Legume - sounds like you need a portable egg so you can get outside and away from the mayhem in the house at the family get-together. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Legume
    Options
    That would be great, just tough to get on the plane. We're actually talking about deep frying a prime rib at one our stops. I'll get some pics of that and post for sure if we do.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited December 2014
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Don't forget to takes before you eat them all.

Should read- "Don't forget to take pics before you eat them all".

I've been missing/skipping words like crazy lately. Between that and the iPad changing words on me, I'm a mess when it comes to this writing stuff. Vanilla should give a guy more than an hour to edit so people don't think I'm an idiot. I don't drink, so I need another excuse for these grammatical errors.

The worst part about this is that if I proof read the entry right before I hit post, my mind autocorrects the entry and I fail to recognize the errors.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Surely you've walked into a room and forgotten what you came there to get?  You then go back to where you started and remember?  There was a study on the subject of passing through a doorway and wiping out your memory ... called the "doorway effect."  Here's one write-up on the study:  http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-walking-through-doorway-makes-you-forget/

I think the scientists should also study the "send effect" for e-mails, postings, texts, etc..  I can read one of my write-ups a dozen times, and not see anything out of place.  But, as soon as it is posted, a mistake will glare out right in the middle of the write-up.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Could the anger stem from ... a huge collapse from the Santa Clara 49ers? ~O)