Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's so great about mustard on ribs???

Options
Patrick in Minnesota
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One thing I've noticed on this forum...lots of folks slather their ribs in yellow mustard before cooking. I've never tried this...what's the advantage, compared to just applying a dry rub? And has anyone tried a Dijon type mustard in place of the yellow kind?

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Patrick in Minnesota,[p]I know it sounds VERY strange, but I'm hooked. I now use mustard 30% of the time on almost everything I smoke/grill (steaks, chicken, salmon etc.). It is very interesting however I was a BIG skeptic for a long time. I think mustard does a few things. [p]1. I think it helps form a light crust on foods, holding in moisture.[p]2. It adds additional flavor (in addition to a rub).[p]3. Make friend think I'm completely crazy ... until they try the food![p]Dijon mustards are great (more flavor). I really like it on salmon.[p]
    Smokey

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Patrick in Minnesota, Just get the cheap varieties of yellow mustard. You can experiment with combinations. For example I at times will use about 1/4 ratio of Jalepeno mustard to regular yellow to add some bite to the meat. Its a good base for rubs and the mustard disappears (usually) leaving a better crusting. It is a smoke inhibitor, so if your wanting to add smoke,,skip the mustard.
    Hope this helps....Rain finally came to C-Iowa..now 7 inches in the last 4 days...Whew...
    Cheers..C~W

• Smokey
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]FINALLY, I beat you on answering a question (all of 5 seconds)! How things gowin'? What's cookin', or on the menu?[p]Smokey
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Smokey, I noted that...that was funny...full turkey breast in the brine for tomorrow..9 racks of baby backs for this weekend and maybe a few steaks in between..:-)
    We will need collision insurance soon..:-)
    Have a great day..C~W[p]

• Smokey
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Sounds like you plate (excuse the pun) is full! Wish I could say the same. I just took a 2 lb London broil out of the freezer, but am going out of town today (business) through Friday. Maybe, I be able to play on Saturday or Sunday.[p]Smokey

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Patrick in Minnesota,
    One of the properties in mustard that helps tenderize ribs is Vinegar. Also, it helps hold the rub to the meat. I have not used mustard on anything other than ribs and Hamburgers. It does great.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• MikeMac
    MikeMac Posts: 1
    Options
    Patrick in Minnesota,
    I'm gonna go out on a "food science" limb here...the acid in the vinegar in the mustard begins to break down (cook) the surface of the meat. At the same time, the rub partially disolves, allowing for a greater penetration of the flavors. (The last part is just off the top of my head).[p]I've tried it with dijon, and stone ground dijon, and it is NOT the same as ballpark yellow, but remember...dijon is wine based (right??)

• Carolina Wizard
    Options
    Patrick in Minnesota,
    Nobody mentioned it yet so I'll chime in. Mustard to me acts like a glue to hold a heavy layer of rum on the meat. When cooked low and slow turns into a crust that tastes wonderful with the smoke flavor, be carefull not to let it burn however if you use a lot of sugar in the rub, which is recommended also.
    Bill

• Kona Tim
    Kona Tim Posts: 35
    Options
    Patrick in Minnesota,
    You mentioned Dijon

French's on spares, Dijon on baby backs----oh yeah.[p]Kona Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Patrick in Minnesota,
    Great question. Great thread. Great answers!!
    I have used good ol frenches on fish, chicken, pork chops, steaks, ribs, brisket and butts. Oh yeah...and burgers.[p]Read the ingredients of yellow mustard, and it sounds just like a marinade. [p]I use it for all the reasons listed below. I especially like the crust, and the color of the finished product.[p]Happy Slathering
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ