Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Butts....sloooooooow

I bought the XL egg from the Sullivan Hardware Eggfest in Indy in August and this is only the 3rd cook on it.  I brought it from our lake house back home for the winter to keep his large Egg brother company and to get some cooking miles on it.  I have some larger pieces of meat to smoke over Christmas vacation including a whole ribeye and a large brisket, so figured I'd use the XL and not fight for space on the large egg.

My son just came home from college for Christmas break and wanted butts, so here we go.  Two butts from Restaurant Depot totaling 23 lbs rubbed with Dizzy Dust. 

Youngest son doing the messy mustard rub work.  My young grasshopper will learn the ways of the Egg.

Rubbed and ready:

12 hours in and only at 169 degrees internal.  Cranking up the heat to power through the stall:
XL, LBGE, Adjustable Rig
Shelbyville, IN

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    What's your dome temp. Seems slow like you said. I go 250-275 for lo/slo
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • 500 said:
    What's your dome temp. Seems slow like you said. I go 250-275 for lo/slo

Dome started high last night at around 300-350 since I let it get away from me on startup. I woke up this morning and it was at 250. Right now (14 hrs in) butts are at 201, grate at 305 and dome is 340. Won't be too much longer now....shooting for 205.
    XL, LBGE, Adjustable Rig
    Shelbyville, IN
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Butts are lookin' good!

Teach your son that slathering mustard on a butt is not only messy (which I'm sure he has already figured out), but a waste of a perfectly good hot dog condiment. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• After this cook, do a turbo cook at 350 (wrapping in foil at 160-180 and cooking until just over 200 internal). You won't be able to tell the difference and you will have saved a massive amount of time. That was my experience anyway.