Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas came Early....

Options

Just got a BBQ Guru CyberQ from my amazing wife! What a GIFT and a blessing she is! :)

I will do a review once I get it up and running!

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Congradulations brother, that's a fine gift for sure. Standing by for your review. Hope you enjoy it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Early BBQ present must mean she wants a special Christmas dinner. Enjoy and please share the details.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    :-? Early BGE gift= \m/ Time to show MaMa how much you appreciate her.
    Pics or it didn't happen...grilling that is. X_X
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Let us know how it works. Seems I've read mixed reviews concerning the use of the Internet.
  • H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    Options
    Can it be "hacked"?

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options

I still have not had the chance to use it, "just aging my meat" is the excuse I am going to go with! I had to help my cousin move this weekend and did not want to be away from the cook incase anything went wrong.

I did set it up in ADHOC mode and it works flawlessly, all I had to do is read the instructions and that was about it. Hopefully it goes without a hitch next weekend.

@H12mike - what do you mean can it be hacked?

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Same here :) My wife knew I wanted one, and so she just told me to order it. I promised to act surprised when it gets here...

@1move, did you get a fan as well?

@H12mike... of course it can be hacked. It's only as secure as your network. But someone would have to get in, recognize the device for an oven & know the commands to make any changes. And they'd have to do it while your Egg is fired up for any of that to matter.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    H12mike said:
    Can it be "hacked"?
    They'd prolly just come by and still your brisket.

XLBGE 
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options

@H12mike - I see what you mean now, it is password protected and I changed my default password so @DeltaNu1142 is right its only as secure as anything else that is password protected.

@DeltaNu1142 - Yes I Got the fan. I got the CyberQ Wifi, the fan (10CFM), the adapter, and 10' leads so I have some play room with where I store it and so on.

XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Nice present. That's a good wife you got there.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    Yo will either Love it or Hate it, I love mine, but have talked to others that have had a hard time with setting it up on the network..  ThePitPal software that connects to it is pretty cool, check it out....http://www.ThePitPal.com.  

If you have any questions, ask away, there are couple of us here that know the unit pretty well.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• DeltaNu1142
    Options
    Yes - based on reading this forum, I expect some hassles connecting. My home network uses a MAC address white list, so I'll need to get the CyberQ's MAC address before I do anything. Some devices make it difficult to get that.

I downloaded Pit Pal. What advantages do you get out of the Pro version?
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • DeltaNu1142
    Options
    I downloaded Pit Pal. What advantages do you get out of the Pro version?
    I found this when trying to get to the "Temp Chart" screen. I went ahead & bought it. I'm doing a dry run (without controller) today on a 5-1/3-lb 3-bone rib roast.
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    The Pro let's you save more cooks and I believe it also allows you to hook up via the Internet.

I can connect to my cyberQ from anywhere in the world with cell connection.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yeah... the free version of Pit Pal is limited to 3 cooks.

I received the CyberQ today, and configured for internet access. My connection is about as complicated as they come... multiple routers (so multiple port forwards), MAC address white list, no DHCP. I never actually got ad hoc mode to work, so I just skipped to infrastructure. The connectivity part works fine--now to try the cook control. I don't have a slow cook/smoke planned anytime soon, so I'll have to figure something out.