Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Call out to SGH for Pork Butt Burnt Ends technique

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
@SGH, When searching Pork Butt Burnt Ends, you are referenced as first developing, or at least perfecting Pork Butt Burnt Ends.  But through my searching, I couldn't find any posts of your recipe or technique.  Interested to see how you do it.  Thinking of making them for a New Year's Eve Party.  Thanks in advance.  Continue to Rock On.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I do butt @ 250 till 160 IT.  Cut into 1 inch cubes, baste in BBQ sauce then put in aluminum pan with more BBQ and back on smoker until tender (200-205 IT).

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    He actually posted it in another thread asking about making burnt ends out of pork, but the above is it in a nutshell
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    500 said:
    @SGH, When searching Pork Butt Burnt Ends, you are referenced as first developing, or at least perfecting Pork Butt Burnt Ends.  But through my searching, I couldn't find any posts of your recipe or technique.  Interested to see how you do it.  Thinking of making them for a New Year's Eve Party.  Thanks in advance.  Continue to Rock On.
    Brother I will gladly type it up for you tonight. Unfortunatly I'm working and am not on the forum near as much as of late. I have 2 different methods that I will gladly share.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @500
    Brother yolk posted one of my methods above. While it is a simple and excellent one for sure, here is one that is even better. It's a tad bit more involved, but well worth it my friend. I gladly share it here.
    First you can use either a Boston butt or country style ribs. However, if you use country style ribs be sure that they are cut from the butt and not from the loin. The loin cut country style ribs will dry out so avoid these when making burnt ends. Cook the whole butt or country style ribs to 170 degrees internal. I usually cook to 160 degrees but these are getting injected so take them on up to 170 degrees internal. When the meat reaches 170 internal, remove from the smoker and cube it. I like to cut into 3/4x3/4 cubes but 1x1 will work also. Once cubed, inject each cube with melted Land O Lakes butter. Place the injected cubes into a pan and sprinkle with more rub and continue to cook. I do not cook them to a finish temp. I cook them to the point that I like them so I recommend sampling one every so often. Once they are done to you satisfaction, eat and enjoy. When making this version of pork burnt ends, I like to sprinkle a little Worsterhire or Apple juice on the butt and rub heavily before placing it in the smoker. For rub I simply use salt, pepper and cayenne but you can use anything that you like. Just remember once you cube and inject the meat with melted butter to sprinkle the meat again with rub. If you are going to use a sauce, put it on after the second coat of rub. I like to cook these anywhere form 225-275 degrees. They turn out the very same. I hope that you enjoy these as much as we do. Good luck my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• chris haase
    Options
    I thought I was the only one who injected pork butts with butter. It is a great way to keep the meat extremely moist.
  • SGH
    Options
    I thought I was the only one who injected pork butts with butter.

No sir, you are not alone. I have been making the butter injected burnt ends for 30+ years. It takes them to a whole different level. Heck I inject almost everything with butter. Butter is one of the finer things in life :D

Status- Standing by.

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Thanks for the technique. I have a 8# BI butt in the freezer. I'm gonna give it a go.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SGH
    Options
    500 said:
    Thanks for the technique. I have a 8# BI butt in the freezer. I'm gonna give it a go.
    Brother I hope that enjoy them as much as we do.

Status- Standing by.

• SpartanPride
    Options
    @SGH‌ I'm trying this today. Have you ever cooked the initial butt Turbo rather than 225-250? See any downside there? Thanks for the info here, it looks awesome.
  • SGH
    Options
    @SGH‌ I'm trying this today. Have you ever cooked the initial butt Turbo rather than 225-250? See any downside there? Thanks for the info here, it looks awesome.
    It works the very same. The only difference that is noticeable is the final texture. However it is so slight that most couldn't tell the difference especially if you use a sauce. I have actually ran these as high as 375 degrees with very good results. Good luck and hope that you enjoy them.

Status- Standing by.

• SpartanPride
    Options
    SGH said:

It works the very same. The only difference that is noticeable is the final texture. However it is so slight that most couldn't tell the difference especially if you use a sauce. I have actually ran these as high as 375 degrees with very good results. Good luck and hope that you enjoy them.

Very good. Thanks for the prompt response. I appreciate it!
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    I'm assuming that when you put the ends backing on after cubing you are staying with indirect heat correct? This sounds awesome!
    Brandon, MS
  • atouchofsmokeWP
    Options
    Burnt ends newb here. Do you cube up the entire butt or a certain area? I'm assuming when you are cooking the cubes they are in a pan? Do you add anything to the pan? Thanks
    Franklin, TN
  • SGH
    Options
    I'm assuming that when you put the ends backing on after cubing you are staying with indirect heat correct? This sounds awesome!
    Yes sir. Leave the indirect piece in or the bottom of the pan will get to hot and cause scorching. This is especially true at higher temps.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    SpartanPride said:
    Very good. Thanks for the prompt response. I appreciate it!
    My pleasure brother.

Status- Standing by.

• mwatts
    mwatts Posts: 122
    Options

Why am I just now seeing this? Might give this a go this weekend!

Extra Large, Large, DigiQII, Thermapen, Adjustable Rig
  • mgillia
    mgillia Posts: 89
    Options
    Question for SGH.  Do you inject butt before smoking?  And then you inject each cubed piece again but this time with butter?  What do you use for initial injection? 

3/4 Cup Apple Juice
    1/2 Cup Water
    1/2 Cup Turbinado Sugar
    1/4 Cup Kosher Salt
    2 TBSP Worestershire
    2 TBSP Lemon Juice

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    I have made these and the wife and I loved them. But a word of caution, when you have cubed the butt and you got them cooked where they are looking good, you are going to sample one. Be very careful when sampling. You could eat the whole pan of them because they are that dang good!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Any success freezing leftover burnt ends and then reheating at a later date?
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• mgillia
    mgillia Posts: 89
    Options
    Does anybody know if you're supposed to inject the entire butt before smoking and then inject each cubed piece individually with butter? 

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    No, you don't have to inject.  

Cook the butt to around 160°.  

Cube it up. 

Place in pan. 

I apply rub and sauce so each nugget is coated with flavor. 

Place back on the Egg until desired look and taste.  

The ones I just done took over an hour back on the Egg and I re-applied more sauce.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

mahenryak said:
    I don't see why you couldn't and why it would be an issue.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Oh holy mother of pork butt!  I'll will have to try this with one of the butts I'm doing this weekend!  You guys are awesome!

Thanks @SGH for spearheading this technique!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Oh holy mother of pork butt!  I'll will have to try this with one of the butts I'm doing this weekend!  You guys are awesome!

Thanks @SGH for spearheading this technique!
    The technique has been done for years.....
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • mahenryak
    Options

mahenryak said:
    I don't see why you couldn't and why it would be an issue.  

Thanks @tarheelmatt

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Geez....  Apparently I'm not the only one who hadn't seen pork butt burnt ends before.....  Brisket, yes; but not pork butt. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• mahenryak
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Geez....  Apparently I'm not the only one who hadn't seen pork butt burnt ends before.....  Brisket, yes; but not pork butt. 
    I think for me it is more of a case of effects of advertising.  When I was a kid I remember reading that for the average person it took exposure to commercials roughly seven times before they may actually sink in, or have influence.  It's the same way for me on this forum.  I'll read a thread and then some time will pass and someone will bring the same topic up again and then the hook is set.  :pensive: 

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    SGH said:
    @500
    Brother yolk posted one of my methods above. While it is a simple and excellent one for sure, here is one that is even better. It's a tad bit more involved, but well worth it my friend. I gladly share it here.
    First you can use either a Boston butt or country style ribs. However, if you use country style ribs be sure that they are cut from the butt and not from the loin. The loin cut country style ribs will dry out so avoid these when making burnt ends. Cook the whole butt or country style ribs to 170 degrees internal. I usually cook to 160 degrees but these are getting injected so take them on up to 170 degrees internal. When the meat reaches 170 internal, remove from the smoker and cube it. I like to cut into 3/4x3/4 cubes but 1x1 will work also. Once cubed, inject each cube with melted Land O Lakes butter. Place the injected cubes into a pan and sprinkle with more rub and continue to cook. I do not cook them to a finish temp. I cook them to the point that I like them so I recommend sampling one every so often. Once they are done to you satisfaction, eat and enjoy. When making this version of pork burnt ends, I like to sprinkle a little Worsterhire or Apple juice on the butt and rub heavily before placing it in the smoker. For rub I simply use salt, pepper and cayenne but you can use anything that you like. Just remember once you cube and inject the meat with melted butter to sprinkle the meat again with rub. If you are going to use a sauce, put it on after the second coat of rub. I like to cook these anywhere form 225-275 degrees. They turn out the very same. I hope that you enjoy these as much as we do. Good luck my friend.
    I feel like I am witnessing the sacred scrolls of wisdom. Awesome.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA