Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen

Options
Do I really need a Thermapen if I have a dual probe BGE Thermometer?
Atlanta GA. 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    An instant read thermometer is a game changer. Steaks, chops burgers... Try the thermapop for <$30 first and see
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    When I first started out I purchased the BGE thermometer as well. I found out pretty quick that I needed a Thermapen. 

In short your answer is yes. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • iyacyas
    iyacyas Posts: 38
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Absolutely! The BGE thermometer is the same as the Mavericks and it is a necessity. The BGE thermometer is used to watch the desired internal temp of the meat as it's cooking. So you insert the thermometer into the meat at the beginning of the cook and use gloves, cause it will be hot, to take it out at the end of the cook. So it is hard to probe different parts of the meat for the best reading, for example a big brisket or a whole chicken with both white and dark meat. The instant read Thermapen allows you to probe the meat in different areas and it will give you an extremely accurate reading in seconds, before your hand or fingers turn into carcinogens. It's is a lot easier to insert the Thermapen into shrimp, chicken wings/legs, pork chops, steaks, etc. then using the thick slow reading probe that is attached to the BGE thermometer via a wire. FYI I , well mostly my wife, use the Thermapen in the kitchen all the time. I cannot live without using both. I do also highly recommend spending the extra coin and get the Thermapen with the back light. And the food safe cleaning wipes that they sell are great, especially on the mavericks (BGE) probe for cleaning. Water from cleaning is probably the number one reason for the probes going out.
  • Chelnerul
    Options
    I use my Thermapen all the time, and it's a magnificent device. I don't know much about the BGE probe, but I do know that I've read nothing bad about Thermaworks' products, as well as their customer service.
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Bought one for all my brothers because they are so nice!
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Can't go without my thermapen! A must have IMHO!
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    As others have said, having both is preferred. If I only had one, I'd go instant read. My thermapen has changed the way I cook everything, not just on the Egg. If strapped for budget, at least get the thermapop. But if you can afford it, go for the thermapen. Lighted background is best.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I could get flamed for this, but don't really care.   

Is it a must?  No.  Are the nice to have?  Yes  Are they worth it?  Yes (very quality product)

My first thermometer wasn't as fast, but it did well.  My dog ate that one, so I decided to get a Thermapen.  I had some Amazon gift cards that I used from it.  I don't think my cooking/skills went up a notch at all though.  One thing, when doing steak on the BGE, you don't have your hand over fire as long with the Thermapen.  

Like someone else noted, get the Thermopop.  It is not as fast or expensive.  Think my last one was a FTC 6000 or something like that.  It was about $25.  Used that for a long time.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I use a thermapop that cost me a wooping $25 and is backlit. As soon as I touched it I became a michelin star chef, unlike @tarheelmatt‌ not going up in skill.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I also have a thermapen and a thermapop.  Both are excellent.  If I had to choose again today, I'd probably start with the thermapop and see if it does what I needed.  If I still wanted something faster, I'd then upgrade to the thermapen.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    Options
    Just ordered a Thermapen today, after reading all of the above endorsements, after using a CDN ProAccurate and BGE PT12 for several months. The PT 12 is a lot faster than the CDN. I will continue to use the CDN for it's infrared capabilities.

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    An instant read thermometer is a game changer. Steaks, chops burgers... Try the thermapop for <$30 first and see</div>

+1
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    BYS1981 said:

I use a thermapop that cost me a wooping $25 and is backlit. As soon as I touched it I became a michelin star chef, unlike @tarheelmatt‌ not going up in skill.

Maybe I got the wrong color?

I worked at a restaurant for 7 years. About three of those years I worked on broiler/char broiler. I feel I learned a lot from that experience with steaks. I would feel the steaks and chicken (along with fish) for doneness. Always seemed to work well with minimal items returning too.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    apinion said:
    Bought one for all my brothers because they are so nice!
    It's great to have nice brothers! HA!  :D
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Just get one.
    :D
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • NoobZero
    NoobZero Posts: 177
    Options
    Excellent info. Thanks everyone!
    Atlanta GA. 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I like mine so much, I'm fighting myself to not order a backlit one
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    I made the mistake and didn't order the backlit one, now I have 2.  DOH!  

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Just buy one. I've had the same feeling or is it worth it or not. Now I have 2 pens, and 1 pop.
    I think that this forum has something to do with it, not sure how it happens but I got sucked in to buying one egg. Then it slowly turned into three eggs.

How does this happen? Or better question is how do you make it stop?
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Sammi said:
    ... how do you make it stop?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DGarner211
    Options
    Just got mine today. Will run a test run on the Christmas turkeys.
    Powder Springs, GA
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    About Two years ago, I bought two of them to get them for 85 each. Eventually, I sold the second one to a friend. Saved him the cost of shipping.
    Dave - Austin, TX