Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rocks in my charcoal

Options
I burned 1 bag of BGE charcoal and one fires worth of royal oak. I cleaned the egg tonight and found 4 golf ball size rocks. Any one else experience this?

Comments

• marysvilleegger
    Options
    Did you mean to post this in the joke thread? :))
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Very common in the brands you listed. It doesn't hurt anything. It's prolly just pieces of the kiln that has come loose and ended up in the lump. Some people have found metal bands,again no problem but when they find plastic straps that's an issues. Some brand of lump have these issues more often than others.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    It's from the kiln when the front-end loader picks up the lump. Not crazy unusual. Although knock on lump haven't seen this yet with RW or WGWW (not to say it couldn't happen). Not a big deal really.
    My worst experience was with 6-8 20# bags bag Cowbell! Had bits of hard rubber and plastic besides the obscure rock and uncarbonized lump here and there. Haven't bought it again. And there are those that love it and have never had a problem. It varies bag to bag.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I have a few rocks from RO. No biggie, they were small.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @Chetscapes‌, if you save them and send them back to RO, they'll exchange the stones for lump pound for pound.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    stemc33 said:

@Chetscapes‌, if you save them and send them back to RO, they'll exchange the stones for lump pound for pound.

=)) =))
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Not being a smarty-ass here - OK? But back years ago during the ice age the glaciers ran North to South and drug with them rocks which got ground up into smaller and smaller rocks and then got finally left behind. Then over the years the ground healed, trees sprouted and forests were formed. In the process the tree roots grew around the rocks. Years and years later along comes man to cut off the trees and leave the trunks in the ground to rot and spring up more trees to be harvested later and later. Eventually someone has the bright idea PLUS the equipment to salvage those tree roots and make charcoal with them. In those roots are rocks so in your charcoal are rocks! No big deal and no company is trying to screw you putting rocks in the bags! OK?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stemc33
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I wouldn't be so sure about that @RRP‌. Just read a story about American Airlines removing a single olive from a salad to save $40,000 a year. This supposedly happened in the 80's. I don't know what that is in today's dollars, but it's a lot. If this story is true, I wouldn't put it past a company to toss a few rocks in the mix to increase profits. It's nothing personal, It's just business. It's not like bagging lump is a federally regulated process. Anything could be possible.
    I don't know, food for thought.
    FWIW, I haven't found any rocks in my Ozark Oak. Maybe they just harvest their wood from areas the glaciers missed. :D
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    I wouldn't be so sure about that @RRP‌. Just read a story about American Airlines removing a single olive from a salad to save $40,000 a year. This supposedly happened in the 80's, so I don't know what that is in today's dollars, but it's a lot. If this story is true, I wouldn't put it past a company to toss a few rocks in the mix to increase profits. It's nothing personal, It's just business. It's not like bagging lump is a federally regulated process. Anything could be possible.
    I don't know, food for thought.
    FWIW, I haven't found any rocks in my Ozark Oak. Maybe they just harvest their wood from areas the glaciers missed. :D

whatever...maybe the un-believing can apply for the job of chief-rock-thrower-inner-each-bag of (insert name)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I've found rocks in BGE, RO, RW, WGWW and OO. Never anything too big. Charcoal making and packaging is not done in a sterile controlled environment. As long as there are no body parts I'm ok with it.
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    I've found rocks in BGE, RO, RW, WGWW and OO. Never anything too big. Charcoal making and packaging is not done in a sterile controlled environment. As long as there are no body parts I'm ok with it.

Shssh. Your going to discredit my story. I've been secretly hired by OO to persuade people to make the switch to OO. :-bd
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @stemc33. Did I say OO? I meant EVOO. Really bad when there are rocks in your olive oil.
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have never found rocks in my charcoal, I would call and get a refund.

:P
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Humor yourself and weigh each bag you buy. They are all likely over the advertised weight anyway. As stated earlier, it's not like administering a dose of medicine, it's coal.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Start building a fort.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Yes!

BGE Lump

I hoped it was a moon rock but it wasn't.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I am new to the BGE and bought 5 large bags with the egg to take advantage of the 20% discount.  I found one rock in bag three of five.  LOTS of dust, I am not that impressed with the BGE lump.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I'm appalled.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited December 2014
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    It's not like bagging lump is a federally regulated process. 

Wanna bet????  On a federal level = EPA, OSHA, etc.  On a state level = DNR, Weights & Measures, and more.  It is very regulated.  Not as bad as some things, but it is regulated and inspected.

Humor yourself and weigh each bag you buy. They are all likely over the advertised weight anyway. As stated earlier, it's not like administering a dose of medicine, it's coal.

This.......

Every bag of Rockwood has about an extra 0.4 - 0.6 lbs in the bags.  The machines are calibrated for this overage just in case.  You can turn out a million bags 10-20% OVER, but if Weights and Measures gets the ONE bag UNDER, you're screwed.  You can have 2-3 golf ball sized rocks in the bag and still have 20# of charcoal.

• stemc33
    Options
    @stlcharcoal‌, I should've known. A guy can't even crap without some kind of regulation.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

I think RO also makes coffee and adds weight to the packages with stones as well.

Flint, Michigan
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    stemc33 said:

@stlcharcoal‌, I should've known. A guy can't even crap without some kind of regulation.

Pretty much. Even portlets are inspected :-B
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • stemc33
    Options
    LMAFO @henapple‌. @Mikee‌, you ordered a lot of RO this time.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Pretty much. Even portlets are inspected :-B

Yep.  Used to be a LOT less regulated in MO when it came to the EPA requirements.  Then 10-15 yrs ago the Governor (and his widow who somehow took his Senate seat), sold their family charcoal plant.  Not too long after the new requirements for smoke burners came into the state and half the plants shut down rather than convert.  Several more were shut down within a few years because they couldn't make any money with all the propane they were burning.  I guess it's good to be da king.

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    @stemc33
    stemc33 said:
    LMAFO @henapple‌. @Mikee‌, you ordered a lot of RO this time.
    Why are you so intrigued to include me in your posts? Get over it dude.  
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    My wife thinks I have rocks in my head since I got the BGE. DOES.THAT QUALIFY?

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida