Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Carson City NV..

Options
Again...it appears i may be transferring for a promotion. Does anyone have any experience with Gardnerville NV or Carson City area? My Job would be In Bridgeport CA if it works itself out and i would probably live in NV....any thoughts would be appreciated. 
Beaufort, SC

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Love that area - eastern sierras are beautiful - much more dramatic than western.  Not sure where you're coming from, but that's a stout commute from Carson City, especially in weather.

It really depends on what you're looking for - how small of a town you want to live in, how far to Tahoe, etc.  It's all beautiful there. I think Bridgeport is even smaller, though there is a Marine base or training center there if I recall.  It's been years since was through there.  If it were me, I would either want to be closer to Bridgeport if I was after rural, or in Carson City if I wanted better access to Tahoe, stores, etc.  Gardnerville doesn't shorten the commute much over Carson City, but it's larger than Bridgeport and you do get to avoid the California taxes that Bridgeport has.
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    I like it there (that part of NV) as well....Bridgeport Ca IS a smaller town....a wide spot in the road more or less. Gorgeous area, 4 seasons.... Can't say Id want to live in Bridgeport, but Carson City, Minden, Yerrington all would work for me. Good luck, exciting prospect.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    Correct @LEGUME i would be at MTWC base if it all works out.... Im concerned about the wife being happy more then anything. I would only commute 6x a month  (Shiftwork) and it would be much easier then the typical daily commute.

Does Carson city offer enough to be happy or is the entire area just small?
    Beaufort, SC
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I would choose to live in Bridgeport if my job was there.  I wouldn't want to commute from Hades to God's country on a daily basis, prefer just to live in God's country.

You know why it's hot as he11 in Reno, it's so close to he!! you can see Sparks.
    Carson City is just a smaller town than Reno, but it's the same weather come summer.  I do a fair amount of backpacking in the mountains outside of Bridgeport.  Beautiful place to live.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• plumbfir01
    Options
    my schedule would have me commute 6 days a month only... i work shift work at 48hr shifts so i would only drive 6x a month..... 

Does bridgeport have any reasonable place to live? 
    I see your sparks joke......lol 

Beaufort, SC
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Bridgeport is a small town.  small enough, living there isn't everyone's cup of tea.
    Ever check out zillow.com
    There are homes for sale in Bridgeport
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited December 2014
    Options
    image Yes Bridgeport is very beautiful, but we couldn't find Wal-Mart!
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    This forum is so educational.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Carson City, Minden is really nice country.  Bridgeport is a beautiful place, very cold in winter and isolated with limited services, most everybody there is either ranchers, Forest Service or the Marine winter training center.  The Carson Valley has all the services and is away from the hussle of Reno, but close enough for the services.

I take it you might be in fire or security?  Where are you moving from?
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Gogogordy said:

Yes Bridgeport is very beautiful, but we couldn't find Wal-Mart!

That sounds like a good thing!
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    @logchief I'm in coastal south carolina....  
    Beaufort, SC
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Just a little different than low country - but you should love it.  Hopefully you'll have blocks of downtime to explore.

I would be thrilled to get relo'd there.