Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RE: Small BGE

image Look what came home with me yesterday. I decided to get the small to go with my large. Eggcited! I will probably put it together next week. I am thinking about getting the woo for it. If I do, would you suggest that I get one without the handles or with? Seems like they could be in the way at times. Also where does the grid set. Is it slightly below, even, or slightly above the gasket level? I appreciate your input.

Comments

• Nice. Love the small. I have a woo, grid sits about even with gasket level maybe a touch below. I bought a box of 6 firebricks to use as the indirect piece for about 12 dollars. Work great. Enjoy!
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • Oh and yeah the Handles are nice ocassionally but next time i would get it without
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Man, sure are a lot of new eggers on board as of late.  Great to see a huge influx of new eggers and forum members.  This place is getting better by the moment.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598

Good choice, IMO. As for the grid height, 3" below the felt line. I don't have a Woo, so can't comment on that.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Congrats on the addition to the family. It looks like you may have also purchased the platesetter. If so, you don't need a stone with the woo unless you want to do pizza. As far as handles go, I just cut mine off and now it works perfectly with a 14" round bottom wok.

You may want to get a high-que fire grate for it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    DMW said:

You may want to get a high-que fire grate for it.
    +1 on that.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    @DMW I didn't buy the platesette. I wanted some more thoughts on the woo before I made a decision.
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    get the woo its awesome.....
  • DMW
    @trout1 If you don't have the plate setter, definitely go with the woo + stone. If you want to make personal pizzas, buy 2 stones. I only needed to buy 1 stone since I broke a leg off my platesetter and just cut the other 2 off.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Congrats Trout1 you will love have it, I agree with DMW that is what i bought for mine.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Get woo with handles....Makes easier to remove without getting burned.  Our small has the woo without handles and delicate balancing act when hot.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • DMW
    edited December 2014
    If you don't plan to use a wok on it, then I would keep the handles on.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    I followed @DMW's recommendations about tricking out the SBGE when I bought mine:  CGS woo and 10" stone and a hi-que grate.  Haven't looked back.  Don't use a wok so handles are a nice feature.  You will enjoy its versatility.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Great buy. Really like the size of the small. I have a Woo for both of my Small Eggs. Both with no handles and I would never want them. I really like being able to spin/rotate the cooking grate with just a pair of tongs. The handles prevent this. Have Ceramic Grill Store weld the 3 stainless nuts to the lower ring. This will let you raise your Woo from felt line anothe 2+ inches by threading in 3 bolts.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I Ordered the woo, stone, and drip pan this morning. It has already shipped. How is that for service. Thanks Tom (CGS).
  • I got the woo with handles and the hi-que grate and then the weber sear grate. It squeezes right in between the handles of the woo and makes for awesome grill marks. Also allows me to put the stock grate on the fire ring so I can pull the woo and stone really quick during a reverse sear.

http://www.firecraft.com/product/weber-gourmet-bbq-system-searing-grate-insert-8834/low-dollar-accessoies?s=FCWEB___GSHP&gclid=COP5yKq20MICFQULMgod9hgA8w

Little Rock, AR

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110

Had my 2nd Woo made to fit the Weber Sear Grates. Really like it. The 3 nuts were added but no photos with the bolts installed.
    Standard BGE cooking grate also fits and all are able to spin free on the Woo for even cooking.
    Just tell Tom what you need and he makes it happen.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I have a small and a woo with handles plus stone and drip pan.  It is a great setup.  I really like the handles - never get in the way.  If I want to rotate the grate, I rotate the woo and all.  Easy-peasy with no tongs needed (just my gloves).  Mine came with the three nuts, I did not know it was an option.  I have never added a bolt, but I might now that I know I can.

Also have the high q grate.  Some folks say they have trouble getting to 300 deg, but not me.  I have to be very attentive if I want to lock in at 250 or less.  I can hit 500 in no time.

Cleaning out is the worst part.  I have settled on an ash tool/shop vac combo with a flashlight so I can see what I am doing
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • I just gut mine and scoop out the ashes or if doing a low and slow pick it up and dump it out.

Little Rock, AR

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    OP - you will really enjoy the small. It's a lil workhorse. I have the woo & stone and couldn't imagine not having them. Much like @cookinbob & @lousubcap I still have the handles on the woo. I don't wok much on the small so they don't get in my way but I do understand why @dmw cut his off to get the wok down in the fire. I think the handles are a benefit to me cause if I have hotspots I can just rotate the whole woo. And a +++ on getting the HighQue grate. I hear some people have probs achieving higher temps with the small but mine is a lil rocket. I've never used my OEM grate so no comparison but I am happy with the heat level I can hit.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • I got mine off craigslist for 300 bucks over a year ago. If it explodes tomorrow it has been worth every penny.

Little Rock, AR

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I have used a Wok on the small, just left the woo out, put the wok on the standard grate on the fire ring.  With a 14" Wok there is enough airflow.  You do want to overfill with lump though.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY