Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time homemade bacon.

Options
My first try at homemade bacon. Followed guidelines of Ruhlman recipe but had to modify as I could not buy pink curing salt here. (Canada) Cured for 7 days and cold smoked it for 4 hours.

I have already been asked to make a bigger slab for the holidays. Store bought bacon will never taste the same anymore after this.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    What did you modify with? Pink salt is a fairly important ingredient in bacon.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Tixunau
    Options

I used ReadyCure so I did not addmuch more salt or sugar. Only used the right amount as per instrcutions on package.

Getting some pink salt delivered to me by some relatives coming from the US for the Holidays. For now, it is ReadyCure but the bag would probably last me a while.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That will work. Just have to be careful with curing. Can get sketchy if you mod it up without following known best safe practices. Careful out there buys and girls :). Looks really good. I can't eat storebought anymore.
  • grey_bri
    Options
    The first time I  did bacon Ihad no redicure or anything. ( also from Canada) I just used 1/2 cup brn sugar 1/2 cup kosher salt 3/4 cup maple syrup couple drops molasses and some pepper. Left it in fridge for 6 days turning once a day. Took it out and smoked it and it was fine. Have done that ever since. I hate the idea of additives. It won't go bad with all that salt in the fridge in a baggie 
    Owen Sound On. For now 1large 2mini's 1exl and 1 6burner Vermont Casting
  • grey_bri
    Options
    I also just did a 4lb Montreal Smoked Meat with no additives. You don't get the pink colour but but no **** it in either. It was the best thing I have ever made and it sat in fridge for 8 days
    Owen Sound On. For now 1large 2mini's 1exl and 1 6burner Vermont Casting
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I'm from Canada and I will be smoking a belly tomorrow. This is what I use, I think it is the same as pink salt? image
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I want to do some bacon, bUT scares me some to do it.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Bout to put a batch in the egg as we type. Easy peasy Matt. Go for it. Just know its a week+ Long process.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    My place has belly for $3.09lb. I need to get a smoke generator too. Either Amazing unit or soldering iron.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    Microorganisms in the raw meat while it is in "danger zone" for hours is much scarier than different types of sodium.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @tarheelmatt‌ you can hot smoke too. No need to buy more stuff. Smoke on the egg to IT 150. Them fridge or near freeze and slice. Fry it up. Goodness.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    grey_bri said:

The first time I  did bacon Ihad no redicure or anything. ( also from Canada) I just used 1/2 cup brn sugar 1/2 cup kosher salt 3/4 cup maple syrup couple drops molasses and some pepper. Left it in fridge for 6 days turning once a day. Took it out and smoked it and it was fine. Have done that ever since. I hate the idea of additives. It won't go bad with all that salt in the fridge in a baggie 

Nothing wrong with uncured bacon as long as you handle it properly (hot smoke it and treat it as any other leftover). Cured bacon can be eaten raw(I don't) and stored for much longer periods.

If the "stuff" you are worried about are the nitrates from the pink salt, you should never eat celery again. It has way more than bacon. Many veggies do. The only science that nitrates are harmful are when they are cooked at high temp. I eat way more cooked veggies than bacon. Probably going to die of celery poisoning (love that stuff).

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    GlennM said:
    I'm from Canada and I will be smoking a belly tomorrow. This is what I use, I think it is the same as pink salt? image
    @GlennM Yes. The Sodium Nitrate is the key ingredient. "Pink salt" is pink to differentiate from table salt since NaNO3 is toxic in high doses but very much safe in curing applications.
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    This is really fascinating.  Your thread has generated some discussion about methods but I wouldn't even know where to start.   What I CAN tell you however is that bacon is God's back up plan to the rainbow...the promise that everything will be all right.
  • HawkeyeEgghead
    Options

Your bacon looks great.  I too am trying my first batch of bacon.  I'm three days in to my 7 day cure with Prague Powder #1, kosher salt, and dark brown sugar. 

Did your bacon brown a bit during the cure process?  The meat in two of my Ziplock bags looks brown, similar the look hamburger gets if you store it too long.  Enjoy the bacon...

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    were in Canada do you live
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Microorganisms in the raw meat while it is in "danger zone" for hours is much scarier than different types of sodium.
    Not much different than making beer. Chilling the wort as quick as possible lessens the chance of bacteria affecting it.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Mikee said:
    Not much different than making beer. Chilling the wort as quick as possible lessens the chance of bacteria affecting it.

plus, it's not just raw meat, it's cured meat. Big difference.
  • Mikee
    Options

You make a good point. Never made bacon, never read up on it. So once its cured there is no way bacteria can affect it?

I read that curing beef in making jerky is a safer way to do it. I just didn't know it eliminated all the potential of contaimination.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    The salt dehydrates the meat, but also the bacteria that causes contamination. It's not forever, but certainly slows down the process. If you think about it, our ancestors did it from necessity, it just happens to taste good. Beef jerky, though not cooked, will keep for months.
  • Mikee
    Options

Made beef jerky a ton of times. It never lasted more than a few days before it was all gone.

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    were in Canada do you live?

If your asking me, I'm in Cambridge, Ontario
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    +1 on hot smoking bacon. It's my preference over cold. 200 -225 to IT of 140 here. Yum
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    +1 on hot smoking bacon. It's my preference over cold. 200 -225 to IT of 140 here. Yum
    Doesn't that start rendering the fat?
    I would think cold smoking preserves the condition of the fat, so when it goes in the frying pan, you get all of that bacon fat for frying your eggs in after the bacon is done.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    "bacon is God's back up plan to the rainbow...the promise that everything will be all right".

This made me happy

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Cookinbob said:
    I would think cold smoking preserves the condition of the fat, so when it goes in the frying pan, you get all of that bacon fat for frying your eggs in after the bacon is done.

it does not really render much but it does have a completely different texture than raw bacon. It's much firmer and does not fry up the same. It's really good but if you want raw bacon they way you are used to eating, you would cold smoke it.

Cold smoke adds an element of risk which is why almost everyone suggests hot smoking. Doing it hot kills the bad guys, if there are any left after the cure- mainly botulinum (yum) which is flavorless, odorless and can kill you. Hot smoking is probably the way to go if you aren't 100% sure of what you are doing.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Zmokin said:

I wondered the same until I did it.  You definitely want to keep the temp low, but here is a pic of sliced hot smoked bacon.  It really does not render the fat.  I save the fat when I fry bacon, but have been tossing it lately as I have way more than I can use :D

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY