Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature control on a large BGE...

Options
I have read all the threads about temperature control and seems the only way to be sure is to play with it. I cooked spatchcock chicken Friday and I remembered a thread about how long it takes eggs to cool if you get them too hot, so I was nervous being it was my first egg cook ever. I had a small crack in the bottom and the top opened just a bit and I got a good look at what it takes to set it to 225-250. I opened it further and and further and finally got it set perfectly and it never moved. Only thing is from some of the post I have read it seemed like I had my vents opened way more than I should have to reach 350. Saturday I cooked pork loin and set it at 400 no probs but I had the bottom opened 1.5" to 2" and the top vent opened at least half way. Sunday, I wanted to heat up my salt blocks so after I slowly warmed them I decided it was time to open up the egg and let her rip. I never got it over about 550, Im thinking I needed more lump to get it hotter because I just had what was left over from the previous cooks. I got the face of my block to 500 and scrubbed it clean from some ribeyes. Just seams like I have seen some threads showing small openings like .5" or less in the bottom and small openings on the top vent too and I and I had to open mine further than I assumed. It just takes time, both meals were great, that was the only thing I noticed.
Travis

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Probably should reload to go nuclear. Just stir old and add new is what I do. Don't fret the actual setting you'll get it with practice. The biggest thing to me is set it and don't chase small variation.
  • scruffee81
    scruffee81 Posts: 85
    edited December 2014
    Options

Another thing to note is how you are storing your lump.  If your lump isn't in a sealed container it will collect moisture, if this happens you will never get to a high temp. Buy your self some charcoal containers and that should remedy your problem, another thing you should look into is upgrading your factory fire grate with a High Que grate, the restricted air flow on the factory grate will also hold you back from reaching high temps.

+1 on @theyolksonyou Ive learned to not chase the perfect temp either,...small variations don't make a huge difference and will just drive you crazy checking it all the time.

I personally own a BBQ Guru DigiX2 and this thing is a life saver! Especially for the low/slow cooks.

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    I forgot to bring this point up, I have a Maverick remote TE-7(I think that the model number). After the first cook with the spatchcocked birds I melted both temp elements. I had the probe in the bird and I was cooking indirect low(low may have been problem) and all of a sudden the temp started reading higher and higher til HHH and now they are fried. I was using the oval stone for my AR and had the elements coming out the side  and maybe theheat got to them where there was no stone. How does everyone keep their probe leads from melting away to HHH land.
    Travis

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Make sure they are over the stone and wrap in foil for extra protection. The open flame will gettcha
  • scruffee81
    edited December 2014
    Options

I have never ran into that problem, as long as the probes are rated for high temps you shouldnt either.  My DigiX2 probe is rated for about 425F (don't quote me on that), and I also have a High Temp Thermoworks TW8060 Two-Channel Thermocouple  that can withstand all the way to 2100F...lol...like Ill ever go that high.

and I don't wrap in foil

• tz666
    Options
    new leads on the way

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @tz666 ... what size is your egg?  Folks say the medium eggs have some air flow problems ... they tend to change out the fire grate to correct that.  It sounds like your egg is new and shouldn't have a build up of ash behind the fire bowl ... yes?  If it's been used a lot, then do pull the fire ring and ffre bowl to check for a build up behind it.  Make sure the fire bowl is aligned with the opening ... doesn't take too much to start screwing with the free flow of combustion air.

If the leads to your probes were plastic covered, they didn't stand a chance in the egg.  I fried a set on the gasser ... didn't realize that not all probes are resistant to grilling temps. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tz666
    Options
  • SaskNortherner
    Options
    I have noticed the same thing a couple of times in the winter. Some times my LBGE will just not get hot at all no matter how much air I let it have. My Stoker will usually solve that problem though. Our humidity changes so much here and I was thinking my lump was taking on moisture. I store it in the bag in a room beside my enclosed deck. I never thought of keeping it in sealed container but since I already have shelves built in my lump room I guess that is the next step. Thanks!
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    tz666 said:
    Large BGE 
    Okay, I get a couple of points on my village idiot card ... checked every place except the title for the size of your egg.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• scruffee81
    Options
    I have noticed the same thing a couple of times in the winter. Some times my LBGE will just not get hot at all no matter how much air I let it have. My Stoker will usually solve that problem though. Our humidity changes so much here and I was thinking my lump was taking on moisture. I store it in the bag in a room beside my enclosed deck. I never thought of keeping it in sealed container but since I already have shelves built in my lump room I guess that is the next step. Thanks!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kingsford-Kaddy-Charcoal-Dispenser-03712/202369847

This is what I use, they work great. I picked up two of them, always have two stocked and ready to go.  Keeps my lump completely dry.

• SaskNortherner
    Options
    Thanks sruffee I looked at Home depot.ca and they don't have them. I have seen them at Lowes in Lake Havasu. Another good reason to head south for the winter.
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • tz666
    Options
    I did some experimenting last night. I got her lit up good and set the temp on 400 which was about like i read above, pinkey width top and bottom. then when I set my AR rig in there with stone that had been sitting on the table outside in the 45 degree weather with a bunch of room temp meat it went to about 225. I had to more than double the openings to get it back to 400 in a timely manner. after all was cooked I took the AR out and opened her up and got my salt block over 500 and used it for the reverse sear on some pork loin that I had cut into steaks. The egg will get to 700+ quick when you open it up.
    Travis

• scruffee81
    edited December 2014
    Options
    SaskNortherner  you can also pick them up at WallyWorld and definitely on Amazon...Ive seen them there, and probably cheaper
  • scruffee81
    Options

@tz666 note, that when you introduce a cold stone or cold meat into the egg the temp will naturally drop....substantially, be wary of opening up the vents to get the temp up faster because Ive done that in my early days of egging and several times when you think your helping your egg get to the right temp...you can easily over shoot it and it will be hard to control it...

if your vents are set correctly and stablilized before you introduce meat...the temp will go back to that desired temp naturally without any modification to your vents. just have to be patient

• tz666
    Options
    i normally have a bit of patience but on a Tuesday at 7pm when Mrs Tz was waiting on dinner patience had left the building

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    tz666 said:

i normally have a bit of patience but on a Tuesday at 7pm when Mrs Tz was waiting on dinner patience had left the building

Been there, done that, but scruffee is correct. It all goes back to happy wife, happy life in a pinch though.
  • tz666
    Options
    Heating up the salt block for searing