Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First smoked turkey

Options
Smoking a turkey for the office. I want a simple foolproof method to make a great smoked turkey. Please help?

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    This is a really simple way............ get the bird all cleaned up and out. Pull the skin away from the breast so you can get either seasoned butter under the skin or just some seasoning between the meat and skin, put it in a 350 degree egg indirect on a v-rack over a drip pan with some type of liquid in it. Cook for about 2-1/2 hours i think until the thigh and brest are 165. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174311/cheese-and-turkey#latest

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Spathcock it

Lots if ideas on here. Simple, predictable and does not take a lot of time. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I just smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving and I did some of the things like @Brisket_Fanatic‌, but I brined my turkey first for 24 hours then pulls out of the brine, patted dry and sat in the fridge for 24 hours uncovered to dry the scin out. A basic brine is in 1 gallon of water add 3/4 cup of kosher salt and 2/3 cup of light brown sugar. I also added a 1/3 of a cup of good BBQ rub for chicken or turkey, a peach flavored beer and an Octoberfest beer. Instead of what I added you could add wine or something you think would go well with the turkey. I put mine in a V rack in side a drip pan. I didn't add any liquid, because I didn't think it needed it, your call. For wood, I chose peach, but and fruit wood would be good with it and not over power it. He is right about 350 for 2 1/2 hours. If you want to get a little more smoke time, drop your temp to 300, but not sure on time. Maybe an extra hour. Make sure to pull the neck and the gizerd bag, it is usually in the top and the neck in the bottom. Good Luke and I am sure you will get some other idea's from others.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bottomfeeder
    Options
    If you just do a Turkey Breast, I use apple wood, coat the breast with Olive Oil and a little Coconut oil, sprinkle with Raging River on indirect. Never had a failure yet.
  • Chetscapes
    Options
    Thanks, love raging river on salmon!