Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wet lump

Options
Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
So, I made a run to the local Ace Hardware yesterday afternoon and grabbed a few bags of Rockwood, some wicked good weekend warrior and a few other random bags of lump. Was tired when I got home and forgot it in the bed of my truck. This morning, I wake up to rain and the bags are soaked. I laid it on the floor of my garage to dry out. I've used damp lump before and it never lights easily, or stays lit the way it's supposed to. How long should it take this to dry out so I can use it? I'm in GA and daytime temps are around 50-60, with night temps dropping into the 30's.
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You're you're not going to like this, but you really need to open up the bags and spread out all that lump in a area where it will get circulating air and some sunlight. left in the bags and in the garage it will probably get mold.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I'd setup a fan and just let it continue to blow across them for a while.  if you can open them up, even better
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You're right. Didn't want to hear that. I have a 5 yr old and 2 yr old that will be all in it. They are sure to come back in looking like coal miners. How long should I leave it spread out, out of the bags? Would a few days work?
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i would just open the tops of the bags but for what its worth, ive never seen mold grow on fresh lump, ive even had the bags rot off while sitting on a wet dirt basement floor. in the egg its different, high humidity, grease from the last cook etc.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    no idea how long - maybe a day?  overnight?  I don't think you can worry about getting it totally dry, but if you can get the obvious moisture out, then just store it so it can breathe and get airflow you should be fine.  don't know how much you have and you may not be willing to mix the brands, but if you bought an empty plastic garbage can and dumped it all in there and left the lid off, you should be fine - but that may not be keep your miners away
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    I could message you my address to get that rotting lump off your hands... ;)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • rosem
    rosem Posts: 48
    Options
    I would just cut the tops off the bags and open them up for a few days. Try to get them in the sun for extended periods of time until the bag is completely dry.

I then wouldn't use it for a few months, until you know it's completely dry.