Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long can I store a brisket

Options
Hello everyone!  I am giving a few cooked briskets as Christmas gifts this year.  I plan to cook them L&S to ~200 or so and put in vacuum seal bags.  I do not plan on slicing and I would prefer not to freeze them.  My question is how long can I keep them in the fridge without freezing them?  I plan to let my friends decide to either freeze or eat right away.  I will write on the bag to reheat via placing the entire bag in boiling water for a while.  Would you agree with this too?

Thanks for the help!
Chester, MD

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I can't help with the storage, just wanted to say that this is a great gift idea. Kudos to you.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    The government food agencies say cooked beef is only good in the fridge for 3 - 4 days, probably can get a couple more days out of it being it is in a vac bag. Since your not slicing it are you cutting chunks of the brisket into the bags or sealing the entire brisket. If the entire brisket is sealed they won't be able to reheat in the bag without boing water in a very large vessel.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    @YEMTrey‌ thank you for the kudos! I know that I would like a brisket so I just assume that others would too. @Brisket_Fanatic‌ No, I plan to put the whole flat into a vacuum bag. If it's only good for 4 days this might not work. I can't guarantee that they will eat it right away. I guess I should cook it, then freeze it for them. Yeah, they will need a large pot of boiling water for this, although it's only a flat. Any suggestions on how long to heat it in water? The flats are about 6lbs each. Thanks!
    Chester, MD
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Wouldn't worry about the four days-I will cook a packer brisket 10-14 lbs for SWMBO and me ( well me) and still be knawing on it at the fridge 10 day mark with no issues.  No suggestions on the way to reheat a flat.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.