Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Picnic Roast Question

Options
Hi Looking for some advice. I have done quite a few full shoulders for 18+ hrs and they have always been great. I have a small picnic roast (about 4 1/2 lbs) that I want to egg up tomorrow. I have to be at work from noon to 4pm so I can't watch it during the afternoon. It would be ideal if it was done for 7 pm. I am thinking of putting it on indirect at 225 around 11AM. I can raise the temp and foil it if necessary after work but it would be great to get the timing right. What do you guys think?
In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My experience they cook at pretty much the same rate as a butt. If I do an 8 pound picnic and 8 pound butt together (cut apart)they finish at roughly the same time. At 225 dome I average 2 hours per pound.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    You have a solid plan. Go for it.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Ok, I will put it on at 11. You don't think there is a chance it would be over cooked by 4:30?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I cooked a 5# today for pork "burnt ends" took 6hrs to get to 155 before I cut it up. But I did fight airflow issues all dang day. I cook 5-5.5 butts all the time and they tend to run 1.5-2 hr/lb at the lower temps.
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    I would not think so but anything is possible.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• GlennM
    Options
    Sounds like I'm safe. I'll put it on at 225 @11 am and cross my fingers
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    GlennM said:

Ok, I will put it on at 11. You don't think there is a chance it would be over cooked by 4:30?

Brother like he said above, anything is possible, but it's not probable. For reference it takes my BB ribs between 5-6 hours at 225 degrees. Short of a disaster, you should have time on your side at 225 degrees.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I like cooking my my pork butts around 250 to 275. I still get a lot of smoke and is a pound an hour or less. I don't cook much at 225 anymore, it doesn't make sense when I can get good tasting food when going a little hotter. I have cooked at 300 to 160 then taken it up to 380 to finish. Good luck and remember if it's not cooking as fast, take it up a few degrees.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I like cooking my my pork butts around 250 to 275. I still get a lot of smoke and is a pound an hour or less. I don't cook much at 225 anymore, it doesn't make sense when I can get good tasting food when going a little hotter. I have cooked at 300 to 160 then taken it up to 380 to finish. Good luck and remember if it's not cooking as fast, take it up a few degrees.

Dome or Grid Temp?
  • GlennM
    Options
    Just came home from work, 225 grid all day and the picnic roast is 158. I still have a couple of hours so I foiled it and booted it up to 375. Time for some makers mark!
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    Glad it worked out.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    dstearn said:

Dome or Grid Temp?

I go with grid temp most of the time, but monitor both.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.