Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rib roast indirect ?

Options
Anyone ever do a rib roast raised direct ?
If so what is your technique?
I reverse seared a 10 # boneless roast last Christmas .
It turned out great , but 10# of fat + 600 degree fire = instant inferno. Got a little touchy there for a few minutes .
Thats why I was wondering about raised direct this time around.

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I do mine reverse sear - raised indirect.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Maybe dial down the reverse sear temp a little; and lower the grid if you can.  Be sure to burp it when it gets that hot.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree that the direct sear can get a little scary with an expensive piece of meat flaming up like crazy.  I was thinking of using a cast iron griddle for my sear next time.  

I think raised direct might work but you would need to turn it often to ensure it cooks evenly.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• eggrock
    Options
    I cook Rib Roast indirect @ 325 w a drip pan. Remove at 125 internal. Rest 20-30 min. Before slicing. Turns out Awesome. I highly doubt it can be improved with a reverse sear. So I never do it. The light crust it gets at 325 is perfect for my household.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    eggrock said:

I cook Rib Roast indirect @ 325 w a drip pan. Remove at 125 internal. Rest 20-30 min. Before slicing. Turns out Awesome. I highly doubt it can be improved with a reverse sear. So I never do it. The light crust it gets at 325 is perfect for my household.

+1

As long as you are around 300 for part of the cook, the outside will crust pretty nicely. I discovered this fortuitously when I overshot the target temp and decided not to add the sear at the end as I was already at 122 internal. My crowd (which includes some serious foodies) unanimously proclaimed it the best they had ever eaten. I haven't seared a rib roast since.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i dont like all the fat on a rib roast thats prime so i buy choice. also theres less fat on the loin side verse the chuck so buy a three or four bone from the loin side, if i need more i buy two from the loin side. 2 bone roasts i trex, 3 or more i start the cook at 450 til i see some good color then slowly back temps down to 325, you can remove the roast and back these temps down quikly like in the trex method. honestly dont see a need for a high temp sear with a big roast
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I roast really low:180-200. I then sear around 400-450 just for color to make it look "pretty". It's not needed for flavor.
  • rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    Options
    I plan on doing a 3-rib roast quite soon......I recently added 3 4" ss bolts to my LBGE grate and nuts to get me up into the dome.....can't I do my sear in my #10 Griswold skillet sitting on the spider close to the lump....add any smoke wood I want.........And then set up my ps woo with platesetter legs up and raise dome temp to 350, and then add my raised grid setup and let dome temp settle in at that temp with rib roast on top rack......then let it go until desired interior temp is reached??.......does this approach sound copacetic, or is there some other method that is simpler that I'm not seeing?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated......
    Berlin, Maryland
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    rsterman said:
    I plan on doing a 3-rib roast quite soon......I recently added 3 4" ss bolts to my LBGE grate and nuts to get me up into the dome.....can't I do my sear in my #10 Griswold skillet sitting on the spider close to the lump....add any smoke wood I want.........And then set up my ps woo with platesetter legs up and raise dome temp to 350, and then add my raised grid setup and let dome temp settle in at that temp with rib roast on top rack......then let it go until desired interior temp is reached??.......does this approach sound copacetic, or is there some other method that is simpler that I'm not seeing?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated......

That sounds like a great plan. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    Options
    I do rib roasts at 200* indirect and don't find an end sear is required most times. If I do one it's raised direct with the dome open and long tongs.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    eggrock said:

Sounds like a winner. I don't use much if any smoking wood; maybe a few chips. Learned my lesson a couple of cooks ago.

Picked up a 3 rib roast earlier today. Plan on cooking it this weekend.