Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time Egg user-Pork shoulder(butt)

d2xx
d2xx Posts: 15
edited December 2014 in Pork
My wife surprised me with an early Christmas present, an LBGE.  I got a great deal on a 8.5 lb  butt.  Trimmed it little, injected it with A&W root beer and put my own pork rub on it and let it sit in the fridge overnight. It went on at 0600 this morning.  Here's hoping that it turns out good.  Dome temp is 280. figure i'll check it in 8 hours.
Louisville, KY

Comments

• d2xx
    edited December 2014
  • d2xx
    edited December 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    First off, welcome to the forum and cult. 

Second, good one with the CAB choice pork, I was scratching my head there. :)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Welcome to Egg world..Look forward to seeing that finished butt..You might be cutting it close at that temp..But I am sure more experienced cooks will chime in soon..Good luck and welcome..

Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • d2xx
    edited December 2014
    Welcome to Egg world..Look forward to seeing that finished butt..You might be cutting it close at that temp..But I am sure more experienced cooks will chime in soon..Good luck and welcome..

I'm just going to do my initial temp check at 8 hours. Hoping it won't take more than 12 hours to be like buttah.
    Louisville, KY
  • Welcome to the forum, sound like you have a plan. Looking forward to some pics this evening.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479

Welcome aboard, can't wait to see the results.

XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • d2xx
    9 hours in and the IT is 180. Dome temp is 300
    Louisville, KY
  • It should move pretty quick from here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    edited December 2014
    @d2xx-welcome aboard from Louisville.  What follows is a collection of info that may be of value:

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas.http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/

Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/ 

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run.ome observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

There are many types of charcoal that you can use.  BGE lump is over-priced.  Kroger brand (private label) lump is made by the same supplier as BGE (Royal Oak) and much cheaper.  You can also find Royal Oak at Home Depot.  GFS (Gordon Food Service) is another private label of the Royal Oak brand.  You can order other brands from http://www.firecraft.com/ .  Rockwood (which I use) is quite good (I get from a store in Versailles, KY) as is Ozark Oak, and Wicked Good Weekend Warrior which can be had at a store in Southern Indiana; http://charcoalandmore.com/

The above is more than enough to get you started. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Welcome here, Good Eats are just hours away.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • d2xx
    edited December 2014

9 hrs in. that's the bone sticking out at about the 1:00 position.

Louisville, KY
  • R3K
    R3K Posts: 52
    I can't even remember when the inside of my Egg looked that nice :)>-
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    You're certainly off to a great start! @d2xx

Welcome to the forum and keep the cook pics coming.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!