Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked beer can chicken

Options
I wanna smoke a beer can chicken. I normally cook it indirect at 400° and usually use apple wood. This time I want to use maple and want to actually smoke it low n slow. Any thoughts on what temp and how long? The bird I have weighs approximately 5lbs.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Sorry I'm not much help, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Invert it on a beer can stand. Serious.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jcacavias
    Options
    Poultry doesn't lend itself entirely well to a true "low and slow" approach because it takes smoke very easily. If you're looking for more of a smoked instead of roasted chicken, give 325 a try. I did a turkey for thanksgiving at 325 with cherry and pecan wood and it came out great.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Jcacavias said:
    Poultry doesn't lend itself entirely well to a true "low and slow" approach because it takes smoke very easily. If you're looking for more of a smoked instead of roasted chicken, give 325 a try. I did a turkey for thanksgiving at 325 with cherry and pecan wood and it came out great.
    Poultry is smoked quite often. I bought a chicken today. It should really be cured in brine first for food safety reasons.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Agree with all of the above. 325-350 indirect and put a drip pan below the bird, on foil balls. If the drip pan sits directly on the platesetter it might heat up too much and give off nasty smoke.

I've never used maple, but I imagine it will do well. I really like hickory and apple for beer can chicken.

At 325-350, start checking temp in the breast after about an hour. I use a Maverick and pull the chicken off when internal temp hits 150. I know...it's not usda recommended 160, but I let the bird rest for a few minutes, and there is a bit of carry over. It also keeps the breast juicy, and avoids drying it out. Typically they are done around an hour and thirty minutes.

Inverting the chicken cooks more evenly, since the white meat breast sits lower in the dome. Dark meat in the legs and thighs can go beyond 160 and still be juicy. It's a bit of a pain to get the beer can in the neck versus the tail. But it's effective.

Spatchcock is easier, but I've been pretty fond of beer can birds. Good luck. Take pics!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Shaun1469  Welcome to the forum. 

I'm from the spatch camp. Sorry can't help with beer cans !!

Someone else will probably chime in if you need more info than what is already given.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Shaun1469
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'm partial to beer can yard bird. I'll have to try inverting the bird sometime. Came out great with maple wood! Wound up smoking it at 300° and creeped it up to 325° til it was done. Also smoke baked potatoes along with. Yum yum!!! Sorry didn't get pics...will next time.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Ummm....pics or it didn't happen! Rule #1 ;)
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Hey, Welcome. You will discover that in an egg, a spatched or inverted bird - no can or liquid in the can - is just the same as a beer can chicken. The idea with inverting is to get the thighs and legs higher where the heat is, cook the chicken without overcooking the breasts.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chelnerul
    Options
    We do beer can chicken with a device like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-0880-PDQ-Stainless-Steel-ChickCAN/dp/B0009JXYR8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417835538&sr=8-2&keywords=beer+can+chicken

Helps to keep it upright, and the can in there with all the juice and beer.

You'll be fine between 300 and 325 - that's what we shoot for.
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...