Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What else to do with turkey?

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So now that we have seen everyone's Mad Max, spatchcock, etc. here's something different.

So we ended up with a turkey for $0.59/lb, gotta love those sales before Thanksgiving. I defrosted it and broke it down.
The dark meat pieces went in wet cure, the carcass with breast on went in brine. I let them both swim for 22 hours. The dark pieces went on a rack in the fridge to dry for about 7 hours and the breast went in a fresh water soak for about 12 hours.

I removed the tendons from the drumsticks, de-boned/tied-up the thighs, and gave it all a nice coat of Dizzy Pig Salt-Free Raging river. Here's all the parts ready to smoke.

I then smoked the parts at 250* with some pecan wood for smoke until 175* IT. Here's a shot of one of the thighs sliced.

Now on to the breast. After soaking it out, I removed the skin, deboned, and split the breasts.

I then gave the inside of each breast a nice coating of transglutaminase:

Joined them together, coated with Montreal Chicken Seasoning, rolled up in plastic wrap, and in the fridge overnight.

On the small at 375* indirect:

Until 160* IT and set for a rest:

After about 20 minutes or so I wrapped it up tightly in foil, then placed in gallon ziplock bag and sent it for a swim in ice water for a few hours. Pulled it out and ran it through the slicer.

Vac sealed it all and now we have sliced turkey breast for sandwiches.

While I was at it today I cold smoked some almonds and cheese:

I go back to work tomorrow, and I've had a great vacation, cooked or did something involved food almost every day straight for the past week. I couldn't have asked for a better stay-cation. Not sure what happened to me, but if you had told me 5 years ago I would be this much of a food geek, no way I would have believed you.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I don't normally cuss, but damn that looks killer!! ^:)^ =D> ^:)^

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    Options
    Thanks @SGH. I did a terrible job tying those thighs. I was in a hurry and didn't really care at that point.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Initially, I was ready to say "what to do with turkey? Chunk it was the G rated version". But damn. That looks really good. Also want to get into cold smoking. +1 on the food geek although you guys blow me away every-damn-day...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    DMW said:
    Thanks @SGH. I did a terrible job tying those thighs. I was in a hurry and didn't really care at that point.

Looks mighty fine from where I'm sitting.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• travisstrick
    Options
    If you had toLD ME 5 years ago I'd be a food geek, I'd have just LAughed. I Like the meat gLue on the brest. I'LL be doing that soon. pLease forgive the **** caps. My ipad case keyboard case is on the fritz.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    You've been busy. Looks great
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    My tongue is slappin my forehead !!!!!!  Man every pic looks capitol-double-D DDelicious !!!!

I want some !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's still a lil to warm to attempt an egg cheese smoke here in sunny Florida. But, you inspired me last year about this time to try it. Hopefully we start to get some colder weather soon.
    OBW Dwayne it all looks phenomenal! :-bd
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Nice man. All of it. =D>
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Reminds me of the Ice Truck Killer from Dexter.....

edited December 2014
    Options
    Wow, man you hit a cycle with four phenomenal cooks.  Did the thigh taste like theme park smoke turkey? I love them.  I've done sous vide turkey logs a few times, had to wrapped each breast half tight individually though since I don't have the glue. Love your rig for the almond and cheese.  BGE is definitely life changing for me too, before getting my first egg I never cooked, period.

btw, start hinting to swmbo how expensive Foodsaver bags are and show her the math how bag saving$ will pay for an entry level chamber sealer few years down the road, plus all the other neat stuff you can do with it 
    :D
    canuckland
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You win the Internet tonight!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DMW
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
    @Canugghead It's not the economics I need to convince her on, it would be a space issue. I think I need my own kitchen...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    My wife says "you need your own kitchen." I hear, "build an outdoor kitchen"
  • DMW
    Options
    @Canugghead
    I forgot to answer your question. Yes, these tasted much like fair or theme park turkey. Kind of a cross between turkey and ham. We really like it. I froze the drumsticks and we are eating on the wings and thighs this week.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Now that's some great looking cooks @DMW

How long did you smoke the almonds? cheese?

Also, did you use the A-maz-N Smoker?

Did you use any oil or seasoning on the almonds prior to the smoke? 

I have been thinking about doing some too but I don't have the round screen type racks. Oh, and sorry for all the questions. 
    :D
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • DMW
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @minnimoh
    Thanks!

How long did you smoke the almonds? - 3 Hours
    cheese? - Just over 1.5 hours

Also, did you use the A-maz-N Smoker? - Yes, I clean out all lump and set the AMNPS on the fire grate. I then setup for indirect and leave all vents open. 

Did you use any oil or seasoning on the almonds prior to the smoke? - No, after smoking them I now have them in a large zip lock back. They will sit there to mellow for a few weeks and then I will season and roast them.

Also, those trays are pizza screens, picked them up from a restaurant supply store.

If anyone is reading this and does not already have a method to cold smoke, the AMNPS is on sale for $35 currently:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• johnkitchens
    Options
    That was a good looking cook. You sir are a great egghead! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Dude - OMFG! I so want to be your neighbor. Or just adopt me.

I was not nearly as productive as you were with the few days I had off.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    Options
    Best part of smoking almonds and cheese?

Snacking on them a few weeks later :D

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

Wow! I sure hope Santa brings me a slicer!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Glad to see I'm not the only person on here that believes in curing turkey dark meat.
    Your thighs look scrumpdilicious.

and I'm not a fan of breast meat, but I find deli's serve a nice thinly sliced turkey breast meat.
    Your thinly sliced breast looks absolutely perfect.  I could enjoy that on a sandwich.

Well done, you are indeed an artist with a turkey.

so tell me, what did you do with your bones?  IMO, you will have perfected the process if you made your own turkey stock.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Awesome!! Where do you get the meat glue?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • DMW
    Options
    @Zmokin
    Yes - the bones were boiled and I have turkey stock in the freezer now.

50g doesn't seem like much, but a little bit goes a long way. Or stock up and get the 500g. That's what I plan to do when I run out of my 50g pouch, it keeps well in the freezer. And the 500g is less than 1/2 the price/gram than the 50g pouch.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Bravo :-bd
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming