Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging in the pouring down rain

Options
I wanted steak pretty bad tonight although it wasn't raining quite so hard when I started, satellite even went out.

In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I gave up cooking in the rain. Snow, cold, even wind is okay. If it's raining, you can find me in the kitchen. No exceptions.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    That's why God invented umbrellas and gore-tex. Egg on brother, egg on.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I've stood out with an umbrella while flipping steaks quite a few times.  As long as I get the Egg lit before it starts raining heavy I'll go ahead.
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Rain in the summer is awesome. Rain in winter sucks. I live in South Carolina winter means 35-45 and rain, all friggin winter. :-w
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    My patio off my kitchen has a roof with shingles.  This allows me to stand around or sit at a dining table outside during pouring down rain and stay dry.  So, i can Egg in the rain all I want.  If the wind is blowing really really strong so the rain is horizontal, then it might not be so pleasant outside where I would not want to Egg.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Same here brother...devoted is what we are, devoted I tell ya !!!!!!

Just a eggin' in the rain !!!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Carolina Q
    Options

I have both. I will NOT egg in the rain. Did it for the first 3-4 years. That was stupid.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I have both. I will NOT egg in the rain. Did it for the first 3-4 years. That was stupid.

I wouldn't characterize as stupid, I would say if you are happy in the house, good. If I want to egg in the rain, I will take advantage of the technology I own and I will damn well egg. As long as we are both happy, good!
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I had to finish in the house and made a messimage

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    It looks good and the mess will clean!
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    One of the things I like about the egg is that you can cook in any weather, although rain is the least pleasant.  A gas grill can't be used in a high wind and a Weber kettle is harder to start and control than an egg.  Once you get the started, you are ready to roll.  I use a metal roof vent cap from Lowe's (less than $10) to put over my medium BGE to keep out the elements.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Steak looks great !!!  I love me some steak !!!  Planning on one tomorrow night....if it ain't rainin !!!!!!!

Just kidding, rain won't stop me !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I bought a pop up canopy just so I could egg in the rain. Didn't want weather to dictate if I was going to Egg or not. I egg any time I want to.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Popup or umbrella in the table for me. No worries. Egg on.
    Food looks eggcellent!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Rain in the summer is awesome. Rain in winter sucks. I live in South Carolina winter means 35-45 and rain, all friggin winter. :-w
    out here in the west, winter rain means it is usually in the 50's, clear days is when we get the 30's & 40's
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of rain either, but I'll egg in it if I have already planned to egg. Also, not a big fan of big wet snowflakes blowing sideways. I hate it when the snowflakes go in my ears.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Steak looks good. I plan my Egg cooks around my days off. If I'm off I'm cooking on the Egg. Neither rain, nor snow, nor...will deter me from cooking on my Egg.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    I used an umbrella for a while, but I decided on something bigger. I had a 12x16 awning installed over my patio. I will egg in the rain if it's not raining  sideways

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• ktm101
    ktm101 Posts: 61
    Options
    I either egg in the barn with the big door open and the side door open letting the smoke blow out or I grill in the fireplace in the living room, which is where I might be able to fit a mini max! imageimage
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    It's pouring here in Cal today, I just wheeled my table under my eaves and shall have wings this afternoon, rain be damned!! I will admit, I am very lucky to live in such an egg friendly climate. I thank my lucky stars daily that I don't have to deal with snow, freezing temps, or tornadoes, my worry is for the big one (quake).
    :D
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    ktm101 said:
    ... or I grill in the fireplace in the living room, which is where I might be able to fit a mini max! image
    That's a first for me!?  Grilling in the fireplace.

Do you get enough of a draft going that all the smoke  heads up the chimney?

I applaud the dedication.  =D>
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Fireplace mini... http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/806031/mini-in-fireplace

I've done it a few times, but haven't in a while. My theory was, a wood fire was a wood fire and that's what fireplaces are for. But then I read somewhere that charcoal generates more carbon monoxide than a normal firewood fire. Don't know, but until I get a CO detector or two, no more fireplace mini cooking.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    @ktm101 - LOVE this!  Indoor egging...I think you need a mini.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Robert Gore is God?  :-?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    jls9595 said:
    I had to finish in the house and made a mess

Looks great!  My plan B for steak is sous vide and torch!
    canuckland
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    @Canugghead I almost used the torch but I was frying potatoes in the CI anyway. Searing with the torch is fun :D
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

It sure ain't Al Gore! Although HE invented the Internet...
    Flint, Michigan
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Agree, egg is not the be all and end all.  I said this many times... we wok almost every meal and would go broke on lump if done on the egg(s)  ;)
    canuckland
  • ktm101
    ktm101 Posts: 61
    Options
    @KiterTodd Yeah must be plenty of draft because I never get smoke in the house.  I even have a CO detector right beside the fireplace and it never shows any let alone hit the alarm.  I have been grilling in my fireplace for about 5 yrs, but since I got my egg last december I haven't grilled in there since.  I do wonder if a low and slow cook in an egg in the fireplace would create enough heat to make it go out the chimney though because using a regular grill its always burning hot.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options

as a holder of a degree in textile engineering, I'm well aware of who Robert Gore is, and thanks to Al Gore anyone with one of his glorious connections can find out. I also am a smartass and enjoy saying stupid **** from time to time.