Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wired or wireless

Options
I am considering a purchase of the BBQ Guru for my husband for Christmas.  I live in the frozen tundra known as Minnesota where it may be effected by the cold.  So just wondering if the wireless one is worth the investment or should I purchase the wired one?

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options

Dotties77 said:
    ... I live in the frozen tundra known as Minnesota ...
    Ah yes, and those are just the summer months.

I'm also a newbie (welcome to the forum) so recently went through the same thought process you're having.  Here's my solution.  Since checking on the dome temp during normal cooks is painful when it's cold, I rely on a Maverick 732 to monitor the grid temp ... and sometimes the meat temp as well.  That keeps me inside and warm for most of the cook.

Bought the wireless DigiQ unit to control the low temps/long cooks 'cuz I want to sleep through the night and not worry that my inexperience will cause problems.  By using the Maverick in addition to the DigiQ, an alarm can be set to wake me it the temps go south during the night.

Again, welcome ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    First of all, welcome to the forum!

I live in MN too and I use my CyberQ WiFi in the cold quite a bit during the winter. The display gets a little sluggish in the cold but the unit still functions just fine. In my experience, you have to keep an eye on the blower as it has a tendency to build up condensation that can turn to ice if the fan is running too little to keep it from freezing. 

I happen to be smoking a brisket today and I'm not using any temp controller - just didn't feel like dragging it out today and my temp has been stable at 275 for the past 3 hrs. 

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!