Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What cook is your nemesis !

Options
Mine is the popular chuckie. I have tried this cook 3 times and it has been terrible every time. The last time I had to put peanut butter on it just so the dog ate it. First time I got cocky and just thought I could let it ride straight thru to 205. Failure. Second time I wrapped at 160 and took it to 215. Awful. Third time I wrapped again. Leather! Tomorrow I try again. I got a nice piece so I'm hopeful it will be edible. Most of my cooks over the past 2 years have been incredible. I've come a long way and have a long way to go to be able to play ball with some of the others here. Damn you chuckie, tomorrow I will beat you! What's the cook that beats you or you have finally beatenimage
LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

Comments

• tcampbell
    Options
    Same as yours but only tried it once and it was awful.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I can't get a chuckie to act right without a braise. I usually smoke until 160-ish then braise it. Think of it as a reverse Travis method. Something g about the liquid that does a chuckie right.

Search for clay Q's pulled beef or just smoke it until 160 then braise it off in liquid.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I can't get a chuckie to act right without a braise. I usually smoke until 160-ish then braise it. Think of it as a reverse Travis method. Something g about the liquid that does a chuckie right. Search for clay Q's pulled beef or just smoke it until 160 then braise it off in liquid.

I was thinking that would be the best way is to add liquid to help make it tender. When you wrap a pork butt it has a lot of fat in it so it makes it own juices to help make it tender. With a chuck roast there isn't as much fat so adding liquid makes since. I have not tried one yet, but want to. Good luck @grege345‌. I hope it comes out better. My only not so good cook was talalpia once. Trying salmon tomorrow for the second time.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Pizza is my down fall.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Most folks here seem to have trouble with briskets, but I've only had one bad one over the years (and I'm convinced that it was the meat itself, as I'd cooked two together and the other one was perfect!).  
    Not exactly a "nemesis", but I'm very iffy with pork ribs.  Sometimes they come out perfect, most of the time so-so, and a few times they're awful.  I usually cook them low, indirect.  I dunno.  
    :|

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SGH
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @grege345‌ & Brother Tex
    Here is a sure fire method for chuck. It's from a good friend over on the Backwoods forum. It works perfect every time.

http://backwoods-smoker.com/forums.htm/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Definitely a dutch oven braise at some point tomorrow.

• SGH
    Options
    @grege345‌
    The method in the link above is a proven winner my friend. Good luck.

Status- Standing by.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    SGH said:
    Pizza is my down fall.

Only because you can't cook 12 at a time. :D

=)) But if he tried he'd nail it
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    I don't cook chuckie in egg "because I can't" ... for me it's dutch oven braise, or sous vide 48 hours medium rare.
    canuckland
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I can't get a chuckie to act right without a braise. I usually smoke until 160-ish then braise it. Think of it as a reverse Travis method. Something g about the liquid that does a chuckie right. Search for clay Q's pulled beef or just smoke it until 160 then braise it off in liquid.

This is the ticket for chuckles. For the liquid I use beef stock and Worcestershire sauce. Works every time.
    As for my nemesis it would have to be Burgoo or Brunswick stew. I've tried twice and failed miserably.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163649/chuck-roast#latest Not that I'm any good, but done this several times, great Chuckie
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• grege345
    Options
    @Botch I have the same luck with brisket. It makes me think I have no idea what brisket is suppose to taste like. I like it but I really have nothing to compare it to. Never had it before I got the egg

• lkapigian
    Options
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I can't seem to get pork ribs just right. Spares or baby backs. I can make em edible just can't seem to hit a home run with em.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

I can't seem to get pork ribs just right. Spares or baby backs. I can make em edible just can't seem to hit a home run with em.

I've had this issue recently too. I believe it's due to trying different rubs. They're tender eenough but I'm missing flavor notes. I'll have to go back to my tried and true and give them a run.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I've tried 2 chuck roasts...dry and tough...no good except for using in chili !!!!

@SGH '''''  Bookmarked the link !!  Thanks !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• SGH
    Options
    @dldawes1‌
    You are welcome my friend. The technique works like a charm. It's my go to method now.

Status- Standing by.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    I've been Egging since 1998-1999 and I will admit I have a couple of problems.

Brisket! Just can't seem to get it right no matter how hard I try. Usually just dry-ish and tough.

Then there's pizza. Most of my pizzas look like a map of Rhode Island and Massachusetts. They taste pretty good I just haven't mastered making the darned things round yet.

Some day . . .
  • grege345
    Options
    @Sundown‌ maybe stretch it out to the size of pennsylvania and then take your pizza cutter and cut it in a circle?

• Zuma
    Zuma Posts: 50
    Options
    Mine seems to be the simple sirloin steak.   If I don't take them off soon enough on a 275 degree cook they are always dry.    Someday I'll win the battle with them too. 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Zuma ...Have you tried reverse seer ???  On my gas or charcoal grill I could never cook the perfect steak...of any kind, unless I just got lucky.  Since I tried the reverse seer on the egg...perfect !!!!!

Give it a try if you haven't already, it made the difference for me !

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sundown said:

Brisket! Just can't seem to get it right no matter how hard I try. Usually just dry-ish and tough.

Then there's pizza. Most of my pizzas look like a map of Rhode Island and Massachusetts. They taste pretty good I just haven't mastered making the darned things round yet.

Some day . . .

Sundown, the good news is, ma and ri still taste round! :)

The key is, start with a round dough ball. Sometimes I make my own dough, sometimes I buy a pound or two from a pizza place or even the grocery store, but I always divide it into portions and shape them into round balls. If you start with round, you end up with round. If not, you have a map of New England.

It's easy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he-V1J86REA

After that, put it in a covered container (I use a Glad plastic storage thing, one per ball) and let it rest as usual. if you have it in the fridge, take it out two hours before you plan to make the pie. Then, shape like this (stop watching when he gets to the rolling pin. You don't need that)...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SjYqw1CLZsA

It took me longer to type this than it does to ball dough or shape a pizza. Give it a try.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Steaks, it's hit and miss, not one type in particular, just steaks, I can successfully crank out a 20 hr brisket, but I can't make a steak edible to save my life half the time!! I don't like real rare meat, that is my problem.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Zuma said:
    Mine seems to be the simple sirloin steak.   If I don't take them off soon enough on a 275 degree cook they are always dry.    Someday I'll win the battle with them too. 

Try 400 direct and pull 125 to 140 (the 125 is good and toward the 140 is all in the hell it needs to cook). You will get a good sirloin.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Sundown said:

Some day . . .
    Agreed. Brisket is my nemesis as well. I just got tired of spending $80+ each attempt. It turns out ok, but not like it should. 
  • grege345
    Options

Well I finally beat the chuckie
    Delicious

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Nice work on the chuckie!! It's on my list of things to try. Looks like it pulled nicely.

For me it's brisket, no doubt. They're fit to make baseball gloves and nothing else.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle