Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza so good Liberals want to outlaw it or tax the HE$$ of it!!!

Options
Smoker317
Smoker317 Posts: 238
edited November 2014 in Baking
Second try on the pizza, first try was homemade dough, good flavor, good bake, but the dough was lacking.  Not sure if we overworked it or what, we are not bread people.

This try, before the egg, we routinely would buy medium size Walmart fresh pizzas for just under six dollars a each.  Today we purchased one pepperoni and one "supreme."  We add half a bag of mozzarella to each pizza and bake in oven.

Well, tonight after reading about two dozen threads on pizza I did the following:

1)  Plate setter legs down.

2)  Two - half inch thick ceramic firebricks laying face down on top of plate setter.

3)  Pizza stone on top of bricks (stone about 1/2" or so above edge of rim).

4)  Dome temp shy of 600.

5)  New infrared thermometer toy (Fluke 62 MAX) says stone was 429 degrees after 35 minutes.

6)  Flour on stainless pizza peel.

7)  Sprinkle of corn meal on stone.

8)  First pizza on stone for about 7 minutes (see pic - pepperoni and extra cheese only.)

9)  Place pizza on cookie rack to cool for 5 minutes before slicing to keep crust crispy.

SECOND PIZZA:

Same as first, but went about 8-9 minutes.  Wife stated she wanted the crust to be slightly more crusty.  Will try ten minutes next time. 

So point being, I have read numerous threads with legs up and legs down, 500 or 700, etc...  This worked great for us, your mileage may differ.

I have read where it is said there is no need for corn meal on stone, etc.  I didn't want to take chance and the slightly burn flavor of corn meal added to the flavor of the crust in our opinion. 

As you can see from last pic, the crust is slightly brown (needs to be more brown for our taste.) 

I will not use as much flour next time on peel.  Both pizzas slid off the peel like a hockey puck on ice downhill.

Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
Smobot
Living near Indy
36" Blackstone

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You must be makin pizzas for Mitch!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Smoker317
    Options
    Mitch is out, MIKE P. is in...  LOL.
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean Pence?? I went to a fund raiser for him. It cost us good for that meal We live in Ky and my wife works in In. Seems like a decent guy. Don't care much bout politics, jus kinda messin with the Mitch comment even tho he will soon be the Senate Majority Leader.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So sorry, me being a dumb Hoosier, I thought you were referring to our beloved last governer Mitch Daniels (smart dude, wish he would run for President..)  It didn't dawn on me you were talking about Mitch McConnell.  LOL...  Glad to see that your Mitch will soon run the show in the senate vs. ole Harry. 
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Nice. Pizza is always fun on the egg. Don't give up on the homemade crust just yet. I haven't found the perfect crust or technique, but have made some good pies. I think I've enjoyed the challenge of making and stretching the dough as much or more than eating it.

Thanks for sharing the details of your cook. Your pies look great.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Nice looking pies you have there
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I don't think you need to worry about the liberals wanting to tax those.
    Options
    I buy the pizza dough at publix. Then roll it out, tried the hand method not so good. Then put sauce then fixings then cheese. Awesome. My kid loves BBQ sauce on it with chicken and bacon ,cheddar and Mozzarella cheese cook for about 8 minutes 600-650 degrees