Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

V Rack or No V Rack?

Options
Cooking my bird indirect. What are the advantages of using the V Rack vs just putting it on the grate?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!
Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Easier to handle for starters
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Eggbertsdad
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Easier to handle for starters
    By being able to lift it out using the handles on the V Rack? I hadn't thought of that but that makes sense.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I use a v rack in a roasting pan and do it indirect. The drippings can be used for gravy later and the v rack puts the bird up a little higher in the dome. I also think the v rack keeps the bird together a little better for presentation.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    If you don't have a v rack you can truss it to keep it all together. Dealers choice.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Snapped this photo a couple minutes ago. This will be my set up for today. The bird is very close to the top of the dome, plus the v rack elevates the bird to allow good airflow all around it. Could add some veggies under it but I think I'll pass on that this year. The v rack will help me hoist the bird out of there when done or as needed during the cook. You are correct, it's dealers choice but I was just trying to help him with his original question. @blind99‌ @Eggbertsdad‌ image
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Thanks guys!

V rack it is. Good luck with your cooks today!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @Terrebandit‌ you are correct, you actually answered exactly what he asked - me not so much :) enjoy your thanksgiving sir!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Just make sure you don't impale your bird with the dome thermo when you load everything up.  Remove the clip and use a true wine cork as a spacer on the outside of the dome and run your thermo thru it to give you more clearance.  FWIW- Have a great Thanksgiving!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.