Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with how the strap the hinge

Options
Going to be installing a Rutland gasket I just purchase from @RPP and I'd like to take the dome completely off by loosening the strap and lifting it out. Could one of you good folks post a pic on how to use zip ties to keep the hinge from opening? I've tried before but my placement must have been off because the hinge opened slightly.

Thanks!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

Comments

• butert
    butert Posts: 202
    Options
    Leave the dome on.
    Cooking on a XL BGE from Allendale, Mi.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    If you still have the white plastic things that came on the hinge, put them back on.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited November 2014
    Options
    This isn't the best picture, but study the first one and then the second picture. In the first you will see 4 bolt heads in a backward L shape. Apply your tie so they stay that way.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NeilTheBeerGuy
    Options
    I just replaced my Factory Gasket with a BGE high temp gasket. 
    I took two heavy duty zip ties and zipped the two R shaped brackets together while closed.
    then took the 4 top small nuts off that attach the hinge to the dome. 
    After that you can remove the dome
    or take all 8 off and remove both rings so nothing is in your way
    then scrape off the old gasket     * please make sure you clean out your egg first*
    when the gaskets are on re-align the dome to the base and rock on! 
    hope that helps
    cheers
    Neil.
    In the Pacific Northwest We cook outside! Year round! 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Check out this video at about 3:50 to see where the zip ties go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgjWdCHXLJc

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• fbskiracer
    Options
    First of all I just did this last week and my zip ties slipped/stretched, leaving the hinge sprung open.  It was a PAIN in the ass.

I would call BGE warranty and order a set of the packing blocks to lock the hinge.  I called when I thought I need a new hinge and they 'taught' me how to reattach my open hinge to my egg.

I had to have someone hold the lid while I fastened the bottom band on the base of the egg.

Other thing I noticed is a couple of my bolts rusted (one actually broke when I retightened everything.  I will have to take everything off again and replace the hinge bolts/nuts.

So if I was going to do it over I would 1) order the hinge brackets from BGE.  2) Order new nuts/bolts/washers for the hinge and handle assembly from BGE (if they will let you), and 3) buy stainless steel carriage bolts, washers, and nuts to retension the bands so it doesn't rust.

Id you are going through the work of doing it, might as well try to do it right if you can.
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I actually went by my local dealer and they had one set of the plastic hinge locks but the holes didn't line up on my hinge. Perhaps it was for a large, I don't know. I checked that video and saw where he put the ties, I'll try that and see how it works. 

A still photo with the ties in place would be great if anyone could provide that. Much appreciated!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    I have a hell of a time trying to put the "plastic locks" on my hinge. I think maybe my hinge is not in spec. I can never get the under bite gone, either. When I take the locks off, the under bite comes back.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia