Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Issues

Options
Have you guys ever had a batch of lump that took forever for the VOCs to burn off? I've been using Humphrey lump for a few years now and it has been awesome. His last batch that I bought seems like it sparks a lot and the VOCs just won't burn off. Any key else ever have this issue?
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Does it look fully carbonized. I've had a few times where it seems like the bad smoke just won't go away. I open the dome and find one large piece of lump flaming and putting off a lot of smoke. I remove it carefully, and instantly the rest of the lump is good to go.
    Options
    I'm wondering if this is the issue. It seems like it's been every bag lately.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Does it look fully carbonized. I've had a few times where it seems like the bad smoke just won't go away. I open the dome and find one large piece of lump flaming and putting off a lot of smoke. I remove it carefully, and instantly the rest of the lump is good to go.
    what he said. THis happens from time to time for me too. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Agree on the above. I think it must happen with certain batches of lump so when a store orders a pallet, all bags could have the issue. If stock doesn't rotate quickly, it seems like the issue is chronic wwhich may be a false negative.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I had a bag this summer too that wouldn't clear the heavy white smoke. Maybe that was the same problem? Good to hear these suggestions.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    The oddest part is that there is no heavy white smoke. It just stinks. I ordered direct from the company so I think that this just might be a bad batch. It still does the job. I'm not going to stop using Hunphrey. I think I just have to get through this batch. (30 bags)! I've been using it for 2 years and this is the first issue I've ever had.
    Mark Annville, PA