Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brined Rotissorie Turkey For Thanksgiving

I made a Rotissorie getup for my large egg. Actually I copied someone else's idea off of you tube with a few modifications so I can't say it is my idea. Anyway the bird is in the brine now. The brine solution has 2 gallons purified water, 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of black peppercorns, 1 tablespoon of allspice berrys, and 1 1/2 cups of kosher salt. I am going to let it set in the brine for 12 hours or so, let it air dry in the fridge until morning then inject it with melted butter. Then on the egg it goes. I will take pictures and post how it goes.
San Angelo, texas

Comments

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

Awesome can't wait to see the pics.

I love the roti. I will be using my kettle roti tomorrow for an 8 pound turkey breast.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    What keeps the turkey from spinning on that spindle?  I'm picturing the spindle turning but the turkey rotating on it.
    Would love to see more pics while the turkey is cooking.  Nice work.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    I also would like to see how this works.
  • VooDuuChild
    VooDuuChild Posts: 54
    edited November 2014
    Be sure to find a very large potato to fill the hole of the turkey to keep it from sloppin all over.  I attached some pics of my 23 pounder I did last year on my rotisserie.  There are fork deals that push into the meat and then bolt to the spit to keep it from rotating around the spit....that potato will be a fought over item....mmmm...drip pan under the turkey for yummy smoked turkey gravy...also, in the cooked pic, you can see the juice welling around the bird. I didn't brine it or do anything.  Stuck on the fire and cooked it.  That was it.  Now I'm stuck doing turkeys every year...and I love it.

I would like to know how you keep the lid closed on your egg with the spit sticking out the end
    1) XLBGE                  1) PK's Pro 100 pound capacity commercial grade electric smoker
    2) Chief smokers        1) Brinkmann...first smoker...gave to a buddy after years of great service.
    1) Char Broil Gas grill  1) Square Char Broil coal grill   1) Round XL Weber round coal grill
    1) Rotisserie for the Weber grill (AWESOME).....I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime I want...I can.
  • I do have the "forks" that stick into each end of the turkey and attach to the rod but I did not have them in the picture. Here is how I ran the rod so the lid will close. The gaskets are 1/8" thick so I cut a slit in the upper and lower gasket creating a 1/4" hole for the drive rod to go through, then I attached the Rotissorie rod to that. See pictures.
    San Angelo, texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Cool rig! Does the spit knock against the lid and dome on the motor side when it turns? A round collar type of deal slipped over the spit rod would probably keep it from doing that.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • If you look close the drive rod is actually 3/16" polished rod which runs inside 1/4" bronze bushings. There is a support tower inside the dome to hold the weight of the actual Rotissorie rod. On one end of the drive rod is a square drive piece held by a roll pin. On the other end of the drive rod 3/8" socket attached to drive the Rotissorie rod. This socket runs on the support tower. The Rotissorie rod is a piece of 3/8" hex rod. I turned the Rotissorie round on the far end and put a bronze bushing on that end also. The contraption runs smooth and does not wear against the egg.
    San Angelo, texas
  • Good god what a rodeo this morning! The first thing that went wrong is my injector had a crack in it. As I injected butter into the bird an equal amount squirted out the crack as what went in the bird. I put several wraps of masking tape around the tube and managed to get er done. I wish I had put a potato inside the cavity as suggested because the bird is flopping around on the spit just like VooDuuChild said it would. Too late now as I'm running out of time. 20 minutes into the cook my motor decided to crap out. Fortunately I had another and thank god it fit so for now we are cookin again but I am afraid I am going to miss the projected meal time. Cocktail time may come early.
    San Angelo, texas
  • Final product and only 30 minutes late. The bird was good but next time I will brine at least 30 hours and cook at 250. The turkey was more like an oven bird than a smoked one. The seasoning was most excellent.
    San Angelo, texas
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    If that's more like an oven bird I need a new oven. Looks fantastic
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Everyone that ate it said it was very good. I guess us eggers are our own worst critic.
    San Angelo, texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Looks good from here. What made like an oven bird? Maybe use more wood for smoke next time?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Looks like a winner to me. That's a cool rig that you came up with as well. Enjoy.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    @RichardFl built one several years ago and produced well from it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.