Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Mini and a Pork Tenderloin

Everybody keeps talking about the Max and how great it is. Well, the Mini still does a good job. Good enough for me that I don't need to run out and buy a Max. Happy with my Large and Mini combo.

Picked up some pork tenderloins the other day at Sams's. 3 went in the freezer and one took a 24 hour bath in this stuff.

First time trying it out, sounded interesting. For this cook, I decided to use the Mini since it's been sitting dormant for awhile. Went and ahead and hooked up the new Flame Boss 100 to see how it would work on the Mini and a direct cook. Set it for 400.

Tenderloins sure do take up a lot of room on the Mini. Almost done.

Took about 30 minutes or so to hit 145, I was shooting for 140. Don't tell anybody.

Let it rest about 10 minutes before slicing.

Served it up on a bed of rice and drizzled on some of the reserved marinade that I had boiled for 10 minutes and then let simmer until it reduced and thickened up a bit.

Came out really good. Not really like your average teriyaki at all. Not overly salty, but had a sweetness to it that was very interesting. The leftovers are gonna make some great sliders served up on some King's Hawaiian rolls. :D

The Flame Boss 100 did an ok job. Was a little higher than what I set it for. I think it might have something to do with its ability to learn the grill its used on. Maybe switching it from the Large to the Mini threw it off? I don't know, but I do know that my dome thermometer is way off. Again.

Anybody have any advice for annoying dogs living next door? My neighbor leaves his dog outside all damn day and the thing barks at anything. I know its not the dog's fault and all that, but its still annoying as hell. The dog barked the whole hour I took to light the egg, let it stabilize, throw the meat on and cook it. I can't even sit outside and enjoy a beverage and let my dogs out because it makes it even worse. I can hear the damn dog inside my house on the other side of the house. It wakes us up in the middle of the night, it wakes us up first thing in the morning. I've talked to him, I've called the city on him a few times and even called SPCA when he left his dog out when it froze and there was snow. I'm at my wits end here and I think I'm suffering PTSD from this terrorist barking dog.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    That looks great @Griffin. Love pork tenderloin.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2014
    Very nice cook. Have you tried the Very Very Teriyaka? If Ypsilanti, much difference? What the hell, I typed in ""so"" and got ""Ypsilanti""??????
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Thanks @tarheelmatt it took a while to convince the wife that tenderloins were ok. Too much history of overcooked pork out there to overcome.

@Mickey I've got a bottle of that I need to break out to try. Never had it before.

Rowlett, Texas

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Looks great Griffin...as always! Happy Thanksgiving
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks like a tasty meal! =P~ I changed some minds about pork tenderloin at the Eggfest this year. So easy and tasty when it's cooked right! I am totally with you on the minimax craze, I have no problem to traveling with my small and love the large / small combo.

No solutions to your neighbor problem, sorry.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • The dog wants some of that tenderloin. Give him what he wants so he will stop asking.
  • Griffin

@Piney Thanks and a Happy Thanksgiving to you, Sir.

@Solson005 yeah, to many of us grew up with pork that was cooked to shoe leather toughness. Amazing what pork cooked right is like. I'll figure something out. Gonna call the city on him again in a little bit.

@cookindude555 I think that would make him just bark more for good food.

Rowlett, Texas

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice tenderloin there. I've never used a controller with direct heat. Where did you place the probe?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Griffin
    edited November 2014

@DMW I placed it on the grate towards the back. I'd caution doing it unless you know how high your probe is rated to. The owner of Flame Boss dared me to try and burn his probe out. He said he's taken his to 700 briefly, 600 for an extended period of time but they limit the controllers to 551 to keep people from burning them out. He also said the probes are rated to 752, but the cables are not. His last comment was:

"I welcome you to try to destroy the probes if you have nothing better to do sometime. If you are successful, let me know how long and how hot you had to get them to break them and I will replace them with new ones."

I haven't taken him up on that and doubt I will.

Rowlett, Texas

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Plated shot looks awesome! The Soy Vay sauces/marinades are pretty tasty IMO. I've tried a few in years past and they were all good. 

I think you should try and burn the probe out. It would be useful info for both the maunfacturer and consumer. He said he would replace the probes, so what do you have to lose?

And if you find a way to silence the dog please let me know. My neighbor has one of the very yippy variety. The other neighbor's MIL comes over and feeds every feral/ stray cat in the neighborhood. I went and got a cage from animal control after talking to her about it and trapped 3 of the critters in 36 hours... leaving only 3 more to deal with. Sheesh.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin

Maybe I will try and burn the probe out @caliking Just for scientific purposes

Right now, I'm trying to let the city deal with it. The dog is obviously neglected and bored since its left outside 24-7 by itself, even though they have another smaller dog that stays inside. Go figure. I just called the city again complaining that I can't sleep at night due to its barking and even nodded off at my desk yesterday. My wife called two days ago. I think I'm gonna write up a letter and give it to all the other neighbors asking them to call in and complain as well.

With winter and freezing temps coming on, I'll be keeping a close eye out and reporting him to SPCA anytime the weather dips below freezing and/or there is frozen precip. I think abuse would go farther than annoying barking.

Rowlett, Texas

• Tenderloin looks great, as far as the dogs you can either lodge a complaint with the local animal control or make friends with it, give it some tenderloin and maybe it will be quiet. Otherwise send you german shepard over there to scary the shiznit out of it.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe