Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drawer Slides For Grill Cart

Options
I have seen several carts with pullout drawers. I checked with a couple of drawer slide suppliers I have used in the past and they claim their slides are for indoor use only and they will rust if used outside. Any suggestions for outdoor rated slides appreciated.

Mike

Comments

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    A Google  search (or Giggle search...as one good man around here says ) for stainless steel drawer slides....brings up several affordable solutions. 

When I researched them about a year ago..I looked for overextended slides and 30" wide drawer and it seems they were cost effective.

Also, if I haven't already said...Welcome to the forum and the addiction !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    You should be able to find stainless rails which will hold up better. I only have one drawer which actually serves as the riser for my small egg. I used a baked on enamel slider that has lasted 12 years. Part of the reason is I lined the inside of the carcass with aluminum flashing so even when the exterior wood would get damp the moisture couldn't get inside. This isn't a very good picture, but maybe you get the idea...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    I have some in stock, message me if interested
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    RRP said:

@mbg ... please forgive me for taking the thread off topic for a second

@RRP ... I see a BGE pizza stone, BGE plate setter, a couple of standard grates, but what is the aluminum looking item in the bottom of the plastic box?  And, are the wooden wheel like things in the drawer used for?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @Jeepster47 - first the wooden rings. 12 years ago an egger in Chicago named MickeyT made those for several of us as gifts. They were made of a special multi-ply baltic wood he used in the company he owned manufacturing wooden inserts for expensive tools for some large tool companies. The were cut from scraps using a laser. The wood itself cost him wholesale like $200 for a sheet. Each disc had a different size hole and you would make a record of the temperature each produced and was used in place of your cast iron daisey. Trouble was they would fall off and the larger the hole the hotter the temperature and those got pretty charred after a while. I still use 3 of them on my small egg.
  • RRP
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Then MickeyT's next generation was this with the adjustable slider by exposing an ever increasing number of holes. To solve the falling off problem when you opened the dome this piece had a circular collar screwed underneath. I don't think he made too many of these, but I know LawnRanger received one besides me. Shortly afterward Mickey dropped out of sight never to be heard from again!
  • RRP
    Options
    And lastly...about the welded aluminum pieces...long before Tom Vogel began making his Spider and AR et. al. an egger who went by Dr Chicken made a set of these for himself and then me. They rested on the fire ring and then offset below rested a piece of ceramic as a diffuser. There was also a similar smaller aluminum frame for my small egg. 

As it turned out this story ends on a sour note. I had loaned Dr Chicken $10,000 and the SOB never paid me back so I guess I have to say this picture shows a $10,000 eggcessory!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    The holes are an interesting concept.  The fact that the wood only became charred suggests that one could use a wooden plug to shut down the egg with a SW cap installed.

The aluminum risers are also interesting ...

Thanks for the answers Ron. 

Now back to mbg's thread.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    If interested, $11.50 plus shipping