Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last years turkey notes, and questions about this years planned adjustments

Options
12.1 Lbs Spatchcocked, with 2 additional legs and 2 additional drumsticks.
Lit BGE (Lg) at 9:00 AM stabilized at 350 dome. Put bird on at 12:15, direct, at felt line with one handfull of pecan chips.
Additional parts placed on second grate level.
Took off at 2:42 PM. Last 20 mins temp raised to 400 for color. Breasts were 154, bird legs 177 Leg parts done 10 mins earlier @ 185.

This year, we are having a few more people, but repeat attendees are mandating a repeat performance.
A repeat is fine, but I want to do better. So I am asking for your thoughts on my planned adjustments.

This year, I have a 17.84 Lb bird. I am going to spatch it, but I believe I will need to drape it over an inverted V-rack for it to fit.
@SGH‌ mentioned injecting butter into the breasts. This sounds intriguing. Since I dust with Dizzy Dust Shaking the tree, I was thinking of adding a few shakes into the butter. Question: Should it be unsalted butter? Or regular butter?
Also, since cooking time is not linear, I was wondering how much longer I should expect a 5.5 lb larger bird to take. I am thinking about 1 hour longer. Does this sound correct? I know to cook to temp, but I am aiming for everyone to sit down 1:30-1:45'ish. Thoughts?

imageimageimage
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax
--------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments