Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - I Was Called "Typhoid Mary" Today

I've been coughing up garbage for the last two plus weeks & I HATE THIS!! Going outside sends me coughing so egging is out. I'm on antibiotics so in theory I'm not contagious. My boss called my "Typhoid Mary" today. Kinda cruel especially since my name isn't Mary (It's not Fred either, but that's for another day).

It made me wonder how many of my egghead brethren have caught this crap that's going around? You have my sincere sympathies.
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• I just closed the Typhoid Mary wiki page not more than 5 minutes ago! 

I was watching "The Knick" on Cinemax and the episode I saw was about her. 

I hope you feel better Fred (not your real name)! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Keep your sense of humour (with a "u" thank you as the Queen expects it should be) meds will have you back to normal for the Lions and Bears, oh my,  on Thursday. 

Grandkids are in pre-school and grades 1 and 3, they are walking germ factories....so far SWMBO and I have dodged the bullet. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    @ Typhoid Mary - I'm a big believer in taking apple cider vinegar. My father-in-law just turned 100 years old last month. He's in good health. He never gets sick, never has a cough. He will tell you it's because he takes a shot of Bragg's apple cider vinegar with a little honey every morning. He's been doing this his entire adult life.
    *note* He also drinks a gin martini with two olives every evening, but he says it's only to settle him down :)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• I have a 1st grader at home who spends her day wallowing around in a Petrie dish (goes to school). If it's going around, it makes a stop at my house.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Mary,
    I've been hacking up a lung since yesterday. I was feverish Saturday night. Both of my daughters have been sick for the past week(colds, the eldest developed a secondary sinus infection) so it probably came from them. I've had some respite with 70-degree weather today but the normal weather starts tomorrow. The best part? I spend the majority of my day on the phone with patients/insurance companies. I've been apologizing all day for coughing into someone's ear.

- Mary Jr.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited November 2014
    Tell your boss you CAN'T be Typhoid Mary. She was asymptomatic. :) 

Hope you feel better soon. Whoever you are.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    All healthy and happy in my house so stay away.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • That's funny, I was just listening to the newest (rerun) episode of Radiolab and the first segment was about Typhoid Mary. Excellent podcast.  
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • Mary was a cook so I guess it fits. I just listened to a podcast about her.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I finished my antibiotic regimen two weeks ago and I'm still sick. This is a bad one Freddy.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

I finished my antibiotic regimen two weeks ago and I'm still sick. This is a bad one Freddy.

He's talking about a cold.. not genital warts.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The antibiotics cleared up my gonorrhea.  That's something to clap about! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple said:
    I finished my antibiotic regimen two weeks ago and I'm still sick. This is a bad one Freddy.
    He's talking about a cold.. not genital warts.
    I had laser for those. Hurt a bit but fixed them right up. Weren't they invented in TN? Rickets too?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Just about everybody, including myself has had the crud at work.  In jest, I give the co-worker who started passing this awful thing around a hard time, often referring to her as patient zero. Called in for two days when it was at its peak.  Lost my voice for a couple of days.

For me it lasted 3 brutal weeks, and finally resolved after full court pickup basketball games with some docs over a couple of hours.  

Coughed up some of the worst stuff on record during and after basketball, nasty.  

In the clear now, but wouldn't wish this **** on anybody.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."