Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Table Question

Options
Saturday was a rainy day, so my grandpa and I decided to throw one of these together. 
We used Naked Whiz plans, and this is how it turned out. Took us around three hours, but 
I still have to stain it. A couple of questions: 
1. Are the tops supposed to be that far apart? 
2. For the bottom support, it called for slate. We couldn't find any, so we just used ceramic tile. 
We used one 18x18 and then we cut one down to 6x18. Will this work, or do I need something else? 
3. Staining, what do I need to use. I would like to darken the wood a little bit. Also, do I need to sand it. 

Sorry for all the questions, I am fairly new to this Egg game, and I have definitely never worked with wood. 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited November 2014
    Options
    1. The tops are a personal preference. I pulled mine in tight because I didn't like the gaps.

2. Regular ceramic would scare me personally although it was kilned at much higher temps than you'll ever reach, the constant up and down May be an issue. I'll let other chime in. I would definitely put a gap between the egg and the tile.

3. sand it smooth. I'd go to at least 220 grit to finish. You can buy small samples of stain at your local big box store and they have some examples of what they look like. Personally, for a little darker, I'd probably look at cherry. Darker than that walnut lightly stained. You'll want to finish with a water proofer. Again, lots of opinions here from marine grade to spar. Sand with fine grit between coats, at least 3 coats.

Finally, welcome to the forum. Have fun, ask questions and enjoy the ride. Also, rather than take my opinions only peruse the table forum, there are some really good builds there with great detail.
  • Scout706
    Options
    Can't answer any of your questions, but I recommend a marine seal.