Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gumbo & Zombie Dust

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Smoked chicken thighs & andouille on the BGE with cherry wood . . . . then made my first Gumbo.  I went though a few bottles of Zombie Dust making the roux, turned out amazing.
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I've been wanting to make some gumbo. I've never done it before. Yours looks awesome!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Let your roux go a bit darker next time.  Almost there on the color.

Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • tjosborne
    Options
    Looks great! I'd love to try that zombie dust.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Awesome looking grub my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks great
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • NDG
    Options
    Thanks - followed a cooks illustrated recipe for the roux - next time I will let it get a lil darker.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Go at least the color of an aged penny. That's a good starting point.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks tasty. What's Zombie Dust?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NDG
    edited November 2014
    Options
    @apinion . . . cooks illustrated said stop when color is between milk chocolate and dark chocolate - but I will go darker next time to compare.

@griffin . . . zombie dust is a very sought after APA from a Munster, Indiana brewery called Three Floyds.  I had to wait in line at the brewery for my beer and they have a strict "2 case per day" limit.  I always make the stop on my drive back to Ohio from Chicago.  Not too far from Chicago, so get some if you can - really cool art & good food at the brewpub too!

Columbus, OH

• NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have to make my way down there to pickup a case. They say that is distributed near me but it's never around.
    Aurora,OH